Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde
View Poll Results: Which build option?
Option 1 - HQ 95" ST
36.36%
Option 2 - 95" 10:1 / T-man 555 cams
27.27%
Option 3 - 88" HQ Heads / TW-6
4.55%
Try something else
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for build input

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:06 AM
whistlebritches
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd sell those heads and buy some R&R cast heads with either a woods or R&R 615/585 and a set of Axtell jugs in 98" config...you'll routinely spank all the rest...and yes i've run hq, tman, hillside, & baisley's products....they aint R&R

Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whistlebritches
i'd sell those heads and buy some R&R cast heads with either a woods or R&R 615/585 and a set of Axtell jugs in 98" config...you'll routinely spank all the rest...and yes i've run hq, tman, hillside, & baisley's products....they aint R&R
Yes, he could do that but the expense is quite high and I am not sure that stating "you'll routinely spank all the rest" is the OP's goal as he also included reliability in the mix. Also, that statement depends heavily on type of exhaust, intake, gearing, throttle body and most importantly tune. Not to say what you suggest is not reliable, but when you start looking at the various packages available, and the various builders that make their living in this industry, the good ones routinely will not just say " do this build" without asking the owner what his desired goal is and what the budget confines may be.

Yes, I am a proponent of HQ products, but have also ran many other builds over the years and have done many for others as well. Careful planning, realistics goals and staying within a specified budget are important. Chasing the almighty Hp can get very expensive and also leave you with a bike that doesn't perfom in the areas that you wish it to.

For Scott (Hillside) to say that the OP should check with Doug (HQ) to complete the build shows integrity and that he realistically understands that most owners are looking for the best at the best cost, and seeing the OP already has the heads, he should continue down the HQ path. On the flip side, if the OP indicated he had Wood cams and was looking for a good set of heads to go with them, then Hillside would be a great choice.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for build input

Dalton,

Very well said. For what my two cents is worth, and this should go without sayiing "Do once done right, do it right the first time, leave it alone and ride"

Do you guys believe I just said that?