Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

2007 Exhaust Changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 AM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2007 Exhaust Changes

ORIGINAL: godseyjo

Thanks Mack. I do realize the necessity of having to retune whether its a performance muffler change and/or the EFI kit. Still, two local HD dealers continue to hawk the SERT which I also understand its purpose.......but IS IT NECESSARY? In each case, can we not change the muffler for the sound, dyno tune if necessary..... or lets say even add the Stage I EFI kit and dyno without the expense of the SERT? I clearly understand that I would get more out of the entire package, I just don't want to do it all unless I have too. Seems like a lot just to get the proper sound from the 07's. The sound from my 93' FXR puts my new Heritage to shame and then some.....
I don't have experience with H-D closed loop FI, keeping carb big twins in the barn here, but do have experience with closed loop FI on sportbikes. With sportbikes, one can change just the mufflers and the FI adjusts very well. What can mess with FI tuning is when the intake is modified. To the extent this is true, if the H-D closed loop FI is equal to the ability of German and Asian closed loop FI, then you should be able to just buy/install some slip-ons, like maybe the new Rush mufflers for the '07's, do nothing else, and you should be able to still have a fine running bike and have sound.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:51 PM
2007ELECTRICGLIDE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put a set of vance & hines slipons on my 07 electric glide classic nothing else down no down load nothing sounds great love the bike

Old 09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory tune is for stock setup or at best SE catted slipons.I would bet that anything better than stock muffs would make bike even leaner.I would suggest putting bike back to stock form if you ever take it in to your dealership.C/S will also ask you what has been done to bike if you have issues.If you have a good 07-which many here do-this will help your bike plus fueling upgrades.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 PM
2007ELECTRICGLIDE
Cruiser

HAD A HARLEY MECH OF 35 YEARS DO THE WORK SAID EVERTHING WOULD BE FINE WITH THE VANCE & HINES SLIPONS DO NEED TO BOTHER WITH AIR OR DOWNLOADS

Old 09-27-2006, 02:23 PM
godseyjo
Novice

I met with another local HD dealer and several of their technicians yesterday for about 30 minutes. The 07 Harley's were discussed at length. They will not install any slipon type muffler unless its the SE and it does require a retune. Now, with that being said, they will only install other mufflers or pipes provided the EFI kit and SERT are also installed. They advise that Harley Davidson will not honor warranty unless all these components are added. Each technician echoed what other techs have said "they do not know the effects of simply modifying the muffler as the bike is too new" All suspect the bike could run lean.

Following this discussion, a long time employee took me aside and recommended that I simply try the RUSH Muffler, put 50 miles on the bike and check the exhaust to see if it appears the bike is running lean. If so, then purchase the other equipment and have it installed. Based on all the comments on this and other HD forums, along with this suggestion, I did initally decide to install the RUSH Muffler with 1.75 baffles, without the EFI kit and SERT. I was surprised that the HD dealer advised he had the RUSH in stock. I took them home to discover (after removing my 07 stock mufflers) that I had been sold mufflers for the 06 and earlier models. I took them back the next day and they were surpised they didnt fit, however upon looking at a new 07 Heritage, the changes were evident. Naturally, like so many other places, they did not have any 07 RUSH mufflers in stock. So I am back to square one....as soon as I put the stock mufflers back on. For whats its worth, RUSH Muffler does advise that their 07 muffler with the 1.75 baffles will not require any retune, nor effect the engine - while any larger baffle will. Thats it for now. I will post as I learn more.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:00 AM
roop
Intermediate

Okay, for this dip s@#$............What the hell is a SERT?

Just bought a 07 SG. Pick it up in the next couple of days. Wating on dealer to get it ready. Already looking at pipes. Go figure

Old 09-28-2006, 01:28 PM
godseyjo
Novice

It's the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) .....runs about $450.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess I was lucky as my dealer had the Rush slipons in stock for my '07 Heritage.

I already had the SE A/C and SERT.

Jim

Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope noone here is surprised that the guys at the dealer don't know what the hell they are doing. If you find a dealer that does and you can trust them, that is great. I havn't seen it yet. I have heard lies and mis-information a plenty. I even had a dealer tell me that my Power Commander would drop programming in the first 2000 miles, guaranteed. He was a little shocked when I told him it already had 15000 on it. Anyway, why are they so confused? The 06 Dyna had this system last year. They havn't had time to play with them? I wish if they didn't know they would just say so. Sell, sell, sell! That is all they are about. You wanna see proof? Go in to the dealer sometime and talk to the salesmen or techs about the performance upgrades they have done on their bikes. I'd put money on it that they don't (a lot of them) all use SE parts. I'm about to go through the same crap, since I'm buying a 07 Nightrain.

Good Luck

Old 09-30-2006, 02:13 AM
rvcowboy
6th Gear
Default Terry fuel management

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this system?? It requires no mapping for any modifcations. www.terrycomp.com

Quick Reply: 2007 Exhaust Changes