Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

T-Rex 3" Duals, Road King Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:33 AM
SunFrog
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Rex 3" Duals, Road King Installation

Thanks to the input of the Forum, I saved a lot of time with feedback from others, but still ran into some issues that cost a trip to the hardware store.
The hardest part of the install was taking off the old pipes. Easiest way is to pull the old mufflers(rear slip ons) off, then take off the heat shields only the sections where the pipes,up forward,come apart, then remove the clamps and take the pipes apart, they come off sooo much easier when in small pieces, I would recomment leaving the head bolts tight until you take
the rear sections completely apart, more leverage, less scratches.

Parts I needed to do the instal that aren't in the box:
1 Screamin Eagel Gasket Kit P/N 17048-98, $6.76
4 New Flange nuts P/N 7593, $0.30 each,

Tools not listed on the instructions that were a must!
1/2 inch universal 3/8" socket. (If you try using a 1/2 socket on a standard universal adapter to bend around the corners, its too long, but a 1/2" socket built into the universal is just right. The new pipes are so big in diameter that standard ends of the sockets are too long and wont fit between the fins on the jug and the new pipes)

All the problems I heard others talking about seemed remedied by Hard Krome, the pipes are now individually wrapped in celulous wading before packed, they have 4 pages of instructions, but the first page of warnings and then telling me to wait until the engine cools before starting, not to mention, NO PICTURES, I pitched'em

Hardware in the kit was 4 bolts and 4 lock-nuts, they're for the two brackets on each side under the saddle bags.
A bolt and teflon nut for the above bracket.
Hose clamp, others said this was not necessary, but it goes on the right side pipe, under the heat shield, on the center support mount, this replaces the metal band that you'll wrestle off, that holds the stock pipe in places, the bracket is attached to the tranny. Its gives the pipe some support in the middle and keeps it from rattling against the old bracket.
U-bracket that replaces the stock one on the starter for supporting the left pipe, middle hole goes towards the front.(instructions left out this kind of detail)

Don't forget to pull the old gaskets out of the jug, you can't tell they're in there, but a pair of needle nose will soon have them loose, they look like steel wool and don't come out easily.
Saddle bags were one of the first things off.

Take off the left side passenger foot rest, the old pipes will come off, but the new ones will not go on with this attached.

The new U-bracket that mounts to the starter, the center hole goes closer to the front, not the back. These are things the insructions don't tell, no pictures or specifics on what goes where either.

It was my first install, done by myself, nothing over the top complicated, If I had it to do again, I could knock it out in under an hours.

Sound? I had Wild Pigs before, these idle similar, but with a deeper rumble, I'm able to sneak out of the neighborhood with no complaints so far. But the joy comes when you hit the open road, they continue to get as lound as you can handle. Or you can opt to keep them at a low rumble. I have a fuel injection and noticed a slight difference from my buddy who has the same bike but carburated, but mine idles 100 to 200 rpm higher, his is at 900, mines a tad over 1000, same pipes but different noise, but only something an exhaust afficianado could hear.

Good luck, drop me an E if you have a question about them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18044/71A4A3DFB8174ED981B8B4E714AB791F.jpg[/IMG]