Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How can I make big power quietly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:08 PM
ericedelman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I make big power quietly?

I traded my 2006 Ultra for a 2011 Ultra Limited this past weekend. My new bike won't be delivered until December when it's snowing anyways, so I have some time to decide what to do. My 2006 Ultra had the 95" kit with a 204 cam and Supertrapp 2:1 exhaust, tuned on a dyno with a race tuner. I put 40,000 miles on the bike and always thought it would have been nicer to have more power.

Unfortunately, I have an ear condition called otosclerosis which requires me to either ride a quiet motorcycle or wear foam earplugs when I ride. On a stock bike, I'm fine. On my 2006 Ultra, anything more than 20 minutes meant I needed the earplugs.

Here are some choices I could do:

1. Leave my new 2011 Ultra Limited with factory 103" motor stock. This would be pretty quiet, but the bike is not likely to run the way I'd be happy with.

2. Heads/Cam/Exhaust tuning on the 103". Mild torque cam and headwork and something like the V&H power duals and wide ovals or the RB racing black hole 2:1 pipe so it's relatively quiet. Maybe another Supertrapp 2:1 like I've had?

3. Motor swap. Buy the new Screamin' Eagle 120r or a Jim's 131. But I'm not sure how a big motor will respond to a quiet exhaust. (Neither is anyone else I've spoken to either!)

4. Some other idea that you guys will suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:16 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Turbo Charger is the very best way to make big power quietly.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM
DeweysHeads
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Often overlooked but the cam has a major influence on the exhaust note.
My recommendation would be a cam without much overlap and wide LSA. There are many including SE cams that fit the bill. Cam choice very important especially with a restrictive exhaust. Easy to go the wrong direction especially when listening to advice from others that have made excellent power with much better functioning exhaust systems. The Supertrap will be a spoiler and can work fairly well yet retain a quiet exhaust note.
Also if the cam, headwork, and other typical bolt-ons is not enough then consider 117" and a similar approach.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Number 2 with the Supermeg,. I don't think you would be happy with it stock looking at your other bike.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I have the 2/1 on my FXR with 20 or 22 discs.

My bagger has slip ons with the stock headers, 17/12. I would say that the bagger is much quieter, with sound on both sides, blocked by bags (and less aggressive cam).

and the power is great.

however I know alot about hearing loss.

high frequency ( wind noise) is my biggest enemy.

i routinely use ear buds for music, or plugs when on the open road.

I'd suggest the slip ons- your limited has the catalytic converter in the head pipe, that'll take care of much of the noise- you'll notice the screaming eagle fatshotz supertrapp pipes are straight through- they get away with that because of the cat.

mk

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-28-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 AM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get a Boarzilla and wear earplugs (LOL).

Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Samzilla
Advanced

I've got a 2009 ultra classic and wanted performance but stock sound. Added a 575 cam from Cycle-Rama, Zippers Hi-Flow air cleaner, and Bub 7 Stealth True Duals. Outstanding low end torque and Harley sound but meets EPA noise requirement of 80db. These pipes with the cam are a little bit louder than stock and allow me to cruise long distances without getting worn out by the drone of loud pipes. Dyno #'s on my 96" motor is 83hp and 96 ft. Lbs of torque.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

According to RB Racing, they have a pipe that gets QUIETER, as you pull the throttle. www.rbracing.com
We had a Black Hole pipe on our dyno, a couple years ago,(117"/Wood 400G, our heads) and it must have been something similar to it. Very quiet ineded.
Scott

Old 10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
rob71458
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLSTF
Just get a Boarzilla and wear earplugs (LOL).
Works for me! I don't ride without them. Ever.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ericedelman
I traded my 2006 Ultra for a 2011 Ultra Limited this past weekend. My new bike won't be delivered until December when it's snowing anyways, so I have some time to decide what to do. My 2006 Ultra had the 95" kit with a 204 cam and Supertrapp 2:1 exhaust, tuned on a dyno with a race tuner. I put 40,000 miles on the bike and always thought it would have been nicer to have more power.

Unfortunately, I have an ear condition called otosclerosis which requires me to either ride a quiet motorcycle or wear foam earplugs when I ride. On a stock bike, I'm fine. On my 2006 Ultra, anything more than 20 minutes meant I needed the earplugs.

Here are some choices I could do:

1. Leave my new 2011 Ultra Limited with factory 103" motor stock. This would be pretty quiet, but the bike is not likely to run the way I'd be happy with.

2. Heads/Cam/Exhaust tuning on the 103". Mild torque cam and headwork and something like the V&H power duals and wide ovals or the RB racing black hole 2:1 pipe so it's relatively quiet. Maybe another Supertrapp 2:1 like I've had?

3. Motor swap. Buy the new Screamin' Eagle 120r or a Jim's 131. But I'm not sure how a big motor will respond to a quiet exhaust. (Neither is anyone else I've spoken to either!)

4. Some other idea that you guys will suggest?

Thanks in advance.

I have read that both these motors are race engines only. can they be registered on the street? The Jims site says race only, and the HOG magazine I got yesterday says NO to the SE R120 engine being permitted on the road.

Quick Reply: How can I make big power quietly?