Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

My HQ-0034 cams came today!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 PM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My HQ-0034 cams came today!?

So my cams, lifters, bearings came today! I know to alot of you this is not a big deal but for a me who is just starting to wrench on my own stuff its good. Im still waitng on the adj pushrods and cam locking tool to come in from LSHD. I cant wait to get started, already have the exhuast off. But I kinda jumped the gun cause I have took the handle bars/ cables off for my bar swap so Im kinda screwed with no clutch and getting the bike in 5th gear and I have the rear tire off. I read in the manual where I could take the outer primary off and spin the engine nut with a 1 1/2 socket. Any other ideas? Also I thought I read somewhere that the cams came with the o-ring and spacer that is not needed? I see the o-ring on 1 of the cams and the space that came with one of the bearings. I have read alot of the threads on cam installs but any other tips would be great.

Attached Thumbnails My HQ-0034 cams came today!?-img_1988.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to a Dealer and get the set of cam shims they have.

I live far enough to just get all 5 (I think) of them.
Make sure the Oil Pump "O" rings are around.

Harley hgas a cam changing kit-- don't get this as it has their bearings in it, Just get a gasket. or two that you need.

what ever you need for the pushrods. Most of that stuff is reuseable. O rings and such.

Service Manual--Gotta have. Get one first.

Harbor frieght has the 3/8 and 1/4(inch pounds) torque.

I used their blind puller and bearing, bushing driver set.

I put the cam bearings into the freezer, with the wrapping, the night before.
when everything is ready--everything-- take them out, unwrap them, and set them in with small taps. You can fell them bottom out to the small lip (my engine is 08 96 and has a small lip where the bearing goes against). double check yours.

Have fun. Hot Diggety Dog.