Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

so confused,,,what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBagger08
Just my 2c, but I wouldn't run a 3.938 bore unless it were nickel-silicon-carbide electroplated bores from Revolution Performance and to me they are just to expensive for the extra 4 cubic inches. Were talking 750-900.00 with pistons Harley's don't seem to make much more than 1-1.2 hp per cubic inch, naturally aspirated. That's a lot of $$$$ for 10-12 hp and There is not a lot of meat left on the bone after a 3.938 bore on a stock Harley cylinder

Pick up the phone give Kirby a call. I know you wont be disappointed http://www.veetwinperformance.com/
Your thoughts on the Rev-Perf units would change, if you saw the looks of the cylinders we just pulled off a clients bike from Western N.Y.(he has a completed 117" now)
The bores look like they were shot-peened!! And nothing is wrong with the rest of the engine, thank God, as that has not been the case in other instances. HUGE issues that were discussed(with pics) on other message boards.
FWIW, we have bored over 100 sets of OE cylinders now, and is done day in, day out here.
Think about this;
Iron XL's that were stroked to 74" back in the day(actually doing one now) 9 times out of 10 they had to be re-bored, as most have/had been bored already. Can't even tell you how many of those we built.
Now we have a 4 5/8" stroke, with a 3.240"-3.250" hole,(.060" or less spigot wall thickess) that has had the spigots notched,(slotted is a better descipt) to clear the large S&S rods.
NEVER had we ever witnessed failures in regards to those, even with that increased pressure on the thrust faces of the pistons that those stroker's rod angularity have.
These are not opinons here, or guesstimates, these are the facts.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 10-21-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spell
Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyhogdude
Okay Dokey i see that the opinions of the 95 or 98 varies in this forum. Great to see the input helps make an informed decision. With that being said my cam choice the woods tw8 good choice or no? As well as the decision to go with the hyd/roller chain conversion good or go with the gear conversion. Bob woods said setup compression should be 10.8:1 with that cam, said thats the cam i should use, he's also the one recommending the roller setup. Some say thats too high of compression lower it or stick with what bob says? Ride in Michigan and plenty of 93 gas here.
10.75-8 is exactly where his 8 cam has to be set, to run done the road at a corrected compression ratio of 9.6-9.65. We have worked with that cam now, for almost 15 years, and it does work well.
That was our 'go to" cam when we used to have the 80" Evo's in here, almost on an assembly line, when they were looking for 90/90 plus.
Last 80" we did use that in, went 95/97, for a client in Lyons Falls, N.Y.
Daily driver.
Have it set where the cam manufacturer recommends, and with the proper cylinder head air flow, it'll go like a scalded cat.
Scott