Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Blew a header pipe today...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Blew a header pipe today...suggestions?

03 Anniversary RK Classic:
Riding to work this morning and heard a sudden change in exhaust...sounded like exhaust escaping from under the seat area. Got to work and took a look, with engine running, and it looks like the left header pipe has split at the weld where it turns away from the cyl head...I may be wrong on the exact location of the split since there's a heat shield preventing complete
examination, but it's leaking pretty badly there and I could see either reflection of sparks or sparks coming from the leak.
Not good, but easy enuff to fix. But I'm open to suggestions on whether to pull it and have it welded, replace with OEM style header, replace both headers, or go with a true dual, and with either, which pipe manufacturer? Bubs/V&H/Samson/etc.

open to ideas here...thanks.

Last edited by duoglider; 09-28-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of a matter of personal preference, isn't it? Any of those options, with the exception of replacing with a stock piece, are fine. Welding the one thats on there will give you a stronger part. Full Sack performance makes a nice header kit, much cheaper than the competition, and with a nice set of mufflers, your tone and performance would be augmented. And a tuner of course to put in a little more gas. I went that way, with Khrome Werks HP 3.5 mufflers and a Dobeck fuel controller. Good sound, performance, mileage.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

It is common to break there. I removed mine and had it welded and it's been fine the past 8 or so years.
Replacements are easy to find at swap meets or from Pals.

I'm a big believer in saving money, the stock configuration header pipes offer good performance results with slip ons.

I always suspected that I contributed to the crack when I man-handled the mufflers during a swap. Like always, try to make sure that clamps evenly support the exhaust system.

True duals offer reduced torque over stock header pipes, it is better to have the 2 cylinders connected by a crossover.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-28-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior

After further inspection the rear header pipe is completely broken right behind the "Y" ...and the support bracket that connects to that section is broken too. looking at all the options but leaning toward a set of Basanni true duals.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its all a matter of how many dollars you are willing to spend. Stock headpipes are a dime a dozen and easily replaced. Yours is over 7 years old, if you buy another one for $50 it is a no brainer unless you really want the look and sound of true duals, but they are costly.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

and the support bracket that connects to that section is broken too
There's lots of guys riding around with a broke one that just don't know it.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Neckball
There's lots of guys riding around with a broke one that just don't know it.
That's pretty much what the service mgr at my local shop said yesterday. Those brackets are known for breakage, which eventually leads to breakage of the rear header. We considered all the options (Me and the Parts Mgr and Svc Mgr at Strokers Dallas) and I went with the duals. I figure if I'm gonna change em out may as well eliminate the problem all together and try something different. May end up putting some shark fin mufflers on too.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:41 PM
drjones
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some how I just new you were going to do that. Nice move.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior

The Strokers guys know their S&#T and I value their input. The TV show they had made them look much less hip than they really are but I'm sure Rick is laughing all the way to the bank.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior

update: Went with Bassani True Duals..what a difference. No complaints at all.

Quick Reply: Blew a header pipe today...suggestions?