Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cracked block

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Tonefiend
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked block

I changed my oil the other day. I though I would get some oil out of the case using the drain plug on the bottom. I heard a snap when I broke the bolt free. I thought it was the loctite.

I put put it all back together and all seemed fine, until I noticed a puddle of oil under the bike. I inspected it and found it to be cracked up the side of the case. Here is a picture.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I do not want to pull the motor if at all possible and would like to find someone who can weld it in place.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 AM
street racer
Advanced

That the oil pan under the bike,you don't have to pull the engine to remove this part,although its quite a job.I don't think that it could be repaired on the bike.the part will have to be cleaned,welded,and maybe even have to have some machine work done to it.To do it right pull the pan.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 AM
moosh
Road Captain

might try JB weld

http://jbweld.net/index.php

Last edited by moosh; 09-26-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: link added
Old 09-26-2010, 09:31 AM
deucer02
Cruiser

Originally Posted by street racer
That the oil pan under the bike,you don't have to pull the engine to remove this part,although its quite a job.I don't think that it could be repaired on the bike.the part will have to be cleaned,welded,and maybe even have to have some machine work done to it.To do it right pull the pan.

Harley V-Twin is a split case; Left vs. Right. There is no oil pan on these engines.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You have to pull the engine. You split one of the engine cases.

Let this be a cautionary tale to others... do not pull plug on engine unless you know what you are doing. That plug is NOT a drain plug. It is a tapered pipe plug

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (01-01-2021)
Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by street racer
On A engines (dyna and touring)... there is an oil pan, under the transmission! NOT under the engine. The OP ruined the cases of his engine (notice the 'plug' he pulled faced downwards)..

Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

Might be less difficult to understand situation knowing year and model of bike.
Many of the plug holes on Harley motors have much more additional threading than is used by the plug itself. Sometimes a longer plug/bolt resolves issues.
How does it look up the plug hole? any threads?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 AM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude that sucks. I think you have to replace the case half if it damaged. I dought someone is going to weld it in place due to the fact it is aluminum and it will damage the surounding aluminum when welded. Once a customer came into the shop with a ford I6. It had a rod knock I have never hear of this in a 4.9 I6 Took the pan off and saw some one welded the leaking pan with it on the engine. Well all the sparks that accured in the pan while he welded left little weld ***** of steel. Well It ruined his oil pump, got into his bearings, imbedded into his cam, mushroomed the lifters, got between the piston skirts cracked some rings, dug into his cylinder walls, even locked one of his lifters. Do your self right and pull it apart you may have more damage then meets to eye. Not to mension some oil passages run though the engine.
Looks to me like you over tightened it.
Its only supose to be snug. Good luck

Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Tonefiend
6th Gear

Thanks guys. It's an '03 Softail "Fatboy"

First, I hope this is a good lesson for anyone else who does this, and to let everyone know not to mess with that plug. For cripes sakes I pulled thing out with an allen key by hand.

I am going to fix it with JB weld. I have been wanting to build the motor, so maybe in a year or so when the money is there I will pull it out and have it welded when the case is bored.

So the plan is to clean it liberally with brake cleaner, tip the bike over on it's side, grind the crack down, and the surrounding area, and clean it some more. Then I will jb weld the plug, screw it in deep, jb weld the crack and work it in deep. Then loosen the plug back a bit so the crack closes up on the JB Weld, then put some around the head of the crack. I am thinking of laying the bike on it's side to keep the jb weld from sagging.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sound like a good plan. I here some good things about JB weld Hope this is another.

Quick Reply: Cracked block