Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Hydralic vs. gear driven cams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Skrimshaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydralic vs. gear driven cams?

I am putting new cams in my 06 Flhrs. While I was doing that, I thought I should replace the chain tensioners. Could someone explain: the benfits of the new hydralic upgrade? (Why is it better than the old shoes, if it still uses shoes) Also, the benfits of gear driven. Of course, the downsides also.

The short story is, I went to the dealer for S&S gear driven 510's. I was talked in to the hydralic upgrade & SE 208 cams...I need to know before it is installed, did I fall for dealer sales pitches, or this set-up is good.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It is a good set up. However, it also has tensioners that will wear out sooner or later if you ride the bike long enough....Personally, I love my gears. No more tensioner worries. Now, I can focus more time on worrying on when my belt is gonna break...LOL.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
smokin joe
Advanced

go with the S & S 510 gear setup, you wont be dissapointed i did my 01 rk wow what a differance it made more responsive throttle

Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went with the s&s 585 gear drives so far they are great . I would go with the 510 in a minute

Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts
Default Advantage

Originally Posted by Skrimshaw
I am putting new cams in my 06 Flhrs. While I was doing that, I thought I should replace the chain tensioners. Could someone explain: the benfits of the new hydralic upgrade? (Why is it better than the old shoes, if it still uses shoes) Also, the benfits of gear driven. Of course, the downsides also.

The short story is, I went to the dealer for S&S gear driven 510's. I was talked in to the hydralic upgrade & SE 208 cams...I need to know before it is installed, did I fall for dealer sales pitches, or this set-up is good.

The advantage of the hydraulic over the spring load cam chain tensioners is the fact that the spring ones drive on a flat link chain that always slides and hence more wear. However mine are still good at 40 K and after my last inspection expect 100K. The hydraulic uses different sprockets designed for the roller chain that is really the upgrade. Once the side links groove in and the rollers of the chain roll across the shoe the shoes should last life of the motor.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

I have done both. I put a set of andrews 37g in my bike and later did a set of 37n's with the conversion plate. I would recommend the hydraulic setup. My gears weren't the noisiest I've ever heard, but the hydraulic setup is super quiet. I don't think the tensioners will wear out any time soon either. the springs put far more tension on the flat chains than the hydraulic setup on the roller chains. With gears, you don't have to worry about tensioner wear, but if your crank/flywheels ever slip, say goodbye to your engine.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Skrimshaw
Road Captain

After reading alot on the forums. I have the bike in the shop now for the hydraulic upgrade. I won't get it back til fri/sat depending on my work schedule. I also went with the SE 204 cams. Let's hope for the best.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 AM
badwiser
Cruiser

what is the cost for the hydraulic set up with a new cam?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

I just got the parts and cams for about $500 or so. Maybe $600. Not sure what labor would cost.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Skrimshaw
Road Captain

I don't know exacts atm, but they charged me 5 hours labor...5*75=$375...that includes installing: Hydraulic upgrades, cams, SE big sucker, and some other minor pieces of chrome.

Quick Reply: Hydralic vs. gear driven cams?