Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Evo Pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Evo Pushrods

I've read that Evo pushrods should be loose enough that you can easily twist them with your fingertips. I have Crane adjustable pushrods which I've adjusted to zero lash +.100", and there's no way I can twist them with my fingers, but the motor runs fine. Are aftermarket lifters made with stiffer springs that would cause this condition?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 PM
DJJSR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evo Pushrods

You set them correctly!!!!! Not many people do! If you checked them after about 5 minutes, you would be able to turn them. It takes a little while for the pressure to bleed off.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Evo Pushrods

Yes, DO NOT turn the engine until you can spin them. Sometimes it takes up to 20 minutes to bleed down.

One question.... are the lifters new? If they are, then you may not have adjusted them correctly. Since new lifters have no oil in them to bleed down, you have to be VERY careful when setting them. The spring inside the lifter compresses very easily, so you have to take great care when initially setting them up to the no-lash position. It's easy to compress the spring without knowing it. Then, if you make the final adjustment to .100 and the spring has already been compressed, you will actually be opening the valves that much. If that happens, then you won't be able to turn them since they will never really bleed down.

Since you've already run the engine, go back and readjust them. This time there should be oil in the lifters. When they say that they will spin "easily", it doesn't always mean that they will spin VERY easily. If you can spin then with two fingers with a little effort, then they are ok. After adjusting one pushrod, wait until it spins BEFORE turning the engine to adjust the next one. Then, when they are all adjusted, turn the engine over BY HAND (lift the rear wheel and put the tranny in fifth gear, and pull the spark plugs, too) using the rear tire. If there are no unusual noises and it turns over easily, then you can start it up.