Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Thoughts needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts needed

A couple of weeks ago while returning to L.A. from N. Ca. along Hwy. 1, I noticed a change in the sound of my exhaust tone. I was just cruising along at about 70 MPH. there was nothing else that seemed to different at that moment. But when I stopped to look at things to see if I could spot a problem, nothing was visible, and restarted the bike the idle seemed to wander a little.
Then I noticed the acceleration while still quite good seemed to be not what it was. It's possible that could be an imaginary difference because of my anxiety.
But when I blip the throttle it doesn't respond as quick as it used to and it still seems lacking just a little power than what I have been used to.
Now, I've checked the fuel mileage and it's consistent with what I've been getting, right at 40-41 MPG. I've had the A/C off and pt my finger over the idle air port to check for a intake leak and the engine dies immediately when it's blocked.
I've done the full engine service on the bike also. Oil filter, oil, plugs, washed the air filter, even replaced the in tank fuel filter.
I've hooked the Thundermax up to the computer and checked the sensor log and the fuel maps and it all reads fine.
I ran a compression test and both front and rear cyls pump up to 150 PSI, while cranking the rear cyl. test it did seem to pump up a little slower but not much.
Yet I still feel something is not right. The bike just feels and sounds different to me.
This is a stock '09 TC96 with 40,000 miles, the only mods being SE A/C, slip on Samson mufflers and a Thundermax Autotune.
Even with everything I've done, I wonder if I could have burned a valve.
I don't have the equipment to do a leak-down test. Should this be my next test? I'll have to research how to do it and buy the tools needed.
Any Ideas as to what it might be and how to test for it would be greatly appreciated.
Like I said the bike still runs very well doesn't miss that I've noticed, seems to have a lot of power and gets as good of mileage as it has in the past.
since I came back from N. Ca. I've put around 800 miles on it and it still seems different than what it was.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:55 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Sounds like you have checked all the basics. How long have you had the Samson mufflers installed? Could the baffle wrap have burned up resulting in a loss of back pressure?

I would say the leakdown test would be the next step. Tools are easy but you will need an air compressor. You can buy a leakdown tester for about $35-$40. But since you must have a compression tester, you have hoses and adapters so all you really need is a regulator.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/LeakDownTester.html

Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

Yep, I have a compression tester and an air compressor.
I guess a pressure regulator is the next thing I need and of course a couple of connectors.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Samson_info
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Sounds like you have checked all the basics. How long have you had the Samson mufflers installed? Could the baffle wrap have burned up resulting in a loss of back pressure?

I would say the leakdown test would be the next step. Tools are easy but you will need an air compressor. You can buy a leakdown tester for about $35-$40. But since you must have a compression tester, you have hoses and adapters so all you really need is a regulator.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/LeakDownTester.html
Samson mufflers do not come with baffle wrap, they are all steel construction. i wish i had more to advise on this one. it sounds like you have checked all the possibles but there seems to be something unknown. how about checking the spark plugs? there could be an electrode that has burned. just an older thing we used to do all the time back in the day.
JR

Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbertom
A couple of weeks ago while returning to L.A. from N. Ca. along Hwy. 1, I noticed a change in the sound of my exhaust tone. I was just cruising along at about 70 MPH. there was nothing else that seemed to different at that moment. But when I stopped to look at things to see if I could spot a problem, nothing was visible, and restarted the bike the idle seemed to wander a little.
Then I noticed the acceleration while still quite good seemed to be not what it was. It's possible that could be an imaginary difference because of my anxiety.
But when I blip the throttle it doesn't respond as quick as it used to and it still seems lacking just a little power than what I have been used to.
Now, I've checked the fuel mileage and it's consistent with what I've been getting, right at 40-41 MPG. I've had the A/C off and pt my finger over the idle air port to check for a intake leak and the engine dies immediately when it's blocked.
I've done the full engine service on the bike also. Oil filter, oil, plugs, washed the air filter, even replaced the in tank fuel filter.
I've hooked the Thundermax up to the computer and checked the sensor log and the fuel maps and it all reads fine.
I ran a compression test and both front and rear cyls pump up to 150 PSI, while cranking the rear cyl. test it did seem to pump up a little slower but not much.
Yet I still feel something is not right. The bike just feels and sounds different to me.
This is a stock '09 TC96 with 40,000 miles, the only mods being SE A/C, slip on Samson mufflers and a Thundermax Autotune.
Even with everything I've done, I wonder if I could have burned a valve.
I don't have the equipment to do a leak-down test. Should this be my next test? I'll have to research how to do it and buy the tools needed.
Any Ideas as to what it might be and how to test for it would be greatly appreciated.
Like I said the bike still runs very well doesn't miss that I've noticed, seems to have a lot of power and gets as good of mileage as it has in the past.
since I came back from N. Ca. I've put around 800 miles on it and it still seems different than what it was.
How long has the autotuner been on it??
Scott

Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

[quote=Samson_info;7319954]Samson mufflers do not come with baffle wrap, they are all steel construction. i wish i had more to advise on this one. it sounds like you have checked all the possibles but there seems to be something unknown. how about checking the spark plugs? there could be an electrode that has burned. just an older thing we used to do all the time back in the day.

Last edited by plumbertom; 09-22-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

Originally Posted by Samson_info
Samson mufflers do not come with baffle wrap, they are all steel construction. i wish i had more to advise on this one. it sounds like you have checked all the possibles but there seems to be something unknown. how about checking the spark plugs? there could be an electrode that has burned. just an older thing we used to do all the time back in the day.
JR
New plugs installed even though the old ones looked perfect. I also Checked the gap on the old plugs and it was right.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
plumbertom
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
How long has the autotuner been on it??
Scott
About 7 months and around 15K miles.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:37 AM
chebapuffer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bike does the same thing i think its in the thundermax. because mine will run like a scolded dog for a couple weeks then run like poo for a week then it will go back to running good. i honestly think somthing is up with the thundermax. its not mechanical or it would do it all the time. did you ever figure your problem out?