Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

05 Valve Seal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM
MadawgDeluxe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Valve Seal Problem

I recently bought a 2005 Deluxe with 2500 miles on it. The previous owner hardly ever road it. I put 2000 miles on it in 2 months and it ate about 1 quart of oil. The dealer looked at my plugs and confirmed I have the bad seals. Because it's beyond the 5 year service warranty limit, HD won't pay for repair. I think this is total BS. The engine is practically new, HD admits the seals were faulty and won't fix it. Am I missing something here?? Do I really want to buy another Harley in the future when they won't stand behind a new motor?? Anyone else have this dilemma? Trying hard to remain an HD fan

Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah that sucks man. Some where bad and some wheren't. Did you buy it from the dealer? If so. They should give a certain amount of warranty. Like 6 months or 5000 miles. Which ever comes first for example.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Because it's beyond the 5 year service warranty limit, HD won't pay for repair. I think this is total BS. The engine is practically new, HD admits the seals were faulty and won't fix it. Am I missing something here??
It's not H-D's fault that no one rode the motorcycle enough in 5 years for the problem to arise.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM
MadawgDeluxe
6th Gear

The bike was serviced after 1000 miles by Frederick HD. They changed the oil and had to replace the plugs because they were oil fouled. They new about the problem. It should have been a recall. There are alot of 2005 owners with this problem.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I was one of those 2005 owners with the problem but I complained about the oil consumption and had to push a bit because H-D will tell you that consumption of one quart in 1000 miles is acceptable; total BS but that's the company line. Mine was consumiing about 1.5 quarts in 1000+ miles. The problem was repaired under warranty.

The factory did issue a tech bulletin about the problem; bad seals and new seals for replacement.

I don't understand the "five year service warranty limit". Unless the previous owner purchased an extended warranty and transferred that warranty to you, the factory warranty is only two years.

Since the heads have to come off for the repair, if you have the $$ now might be a good time to buy a couple of exra labor hours for some upgrades?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Welcome to the world according to HD. Your loyalty will not be rewarded - sorry for the bad news.

Try complaining, you got nothing to loose. Otherwise, get the heads worked, big bore kit, throw in some cams, the hydro tensioners with cam plate, get a tune and ride it. Or, if funds are limited, get a set of used low mileage 06 heads. The 06 heads fixed the problems and the exhaust port was also increased. May need a TB for that? Not sure...

Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

My sporty has the same problem. One day I will get around to tearing the heads off and replacing the seals. I bought it used and Harley told me no, no, no!

Drew

Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,221 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Welcome to the world according to HD. Your loyalty will not be rewarded - sorry for the bad news.

Try complaining, you got nothing to loose. Otherwise, get the heads worked, big bore kit, throw in some cams, the hydro tensioners with cam plate, get a tune and ride it. Or, if funds are limited, get a set of used low mileage 06 heads. The 06 heads fixed the problems and the exhaust port was also increased. May need a TB for that? Not sure...
No TB required but the rest sounds good. He could actually get buy with the old cam plate and tensioners if funds are limited and forego that upgrade until he has the bucks. I suspect he will have the funds before the tensioners go south.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to say but the dealer is right just because you have low miles doesnt mean it will be within warranty. You can buy a Harley or anything new and soon as you drive it home thats it meters running. Think about it is it the dealers or the manufactures fault that someone road it home and parked it for five years. With all the oil just sitting in it hardening the seals. (thats why when you store it for winter you change the oil and filter and do NOT start it afterwards).

Have you tried snake oils?
I have had a rear main seal leak on a car with 230000 miles on it and I used Gunk Bearing Seal and it sealed that main within 2minutes of running. engine has close to 300000 and still no leak.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM
MadawgDeluxe
6th Gear

I agree that you take your chances when buying a used bike. I just wasn't expecting to rebuild the whole top-end after 4500 miles. I still love the bike and the people who ride them. But what a poor way to start out with your first Harley...and HD's attitude was "sorry, nothing we can do"

Quick Reply: 05 Valve Seal Problem