Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

2006 ultra performance problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006 | 02:19 PM
fishguy
|
Stage I
Default 2006 ultra performance problems

I have a 2006 ultra classic with performance problems. I have a 95 inch kit, 211 cams, htcc heads and pistons, rinehart duals, k&n air, pc111 with custom map, stock clutch. My dyno numbers are 89 hp and 91 torque. The problem is that I have an 2002 roadking(wifes) that has the exact same set-up plus a hyd. clutch and her numbers are 106 hp and 109 torque. I have 3 family members that all have baggers 2002, 2003, 2004 with the exact same setup no hyd clutches and there numbers are 104-108 hp and 106-111 torque.
My bike was first dyno at 1500 miles and custom map installed. After the dyno i went to the dealer and started asking questions. We changed out the injectors from the 8's to the 25's and back to the dyno. The bike (with 2500 miles on it) dyno the same as the first time. This bike runs on average about 18 to 20 degrees hotter that the wifes bike. On a 90 degree day at 75 miles an hour the bike will average 245-250 on temp. On the way back from sturgis, 95 degree day and 80mph on the interstate, it was reading 260 ( hers was 239) when we stopped for gas. I have swapped dipsticks and i am still getting the same readings. Both bikes have the diamond cut on the heads and cyclinders. All 5 bikes were dyno by the same guy at different times. The bike has decent low end, ( not nothing like the wifes bike) but when you get up in the range of the cam, 3000 rpm and up, it acts like a stock bike. It really struggles from 80mph and up and tops out at around 98. The wifes bike doesn't start struggling until 110 mph, will push past 120 mph.
After many times to the dealer and a thousand questions asked, I have found out that harley doesn't recommend the htcc heads on the 06's. They do not have an intake manifold that is suppose to fit those heads that will work with the new 06 throttle body. My dealer used the stock manifold. The intake ports on the httc heads are different. He claims that they make an adapter to allow you to use the stock manifold. Could this be my problem?
I also am having problems with my clutch grabbing at random times for no reason at low rpm. I also think that sometimes it is slipping under load. Could my problems be in the clutch area. I have an hyd clutch on the wifes and the other family members have the heavy duty spring installed on there bikes.
The bike now has 10,000 miles on it. The only other thing that has been changed is that the 06 has a bigger tire on the back. I changed the rear tire to the wide white wall ( smaller tire) when the bike was new. My speedo is off about 3 mph.
I need help please.
Greg

Old 09-10-2006 | 02:25 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Default RE: 2006 ultra performance problems

Your numbers are definitely off. I think your problem is the heads and cams. Stock heads cleaned up and tw37 andrews cams shoulg give you what you are missing. In any case, work on the dyno with the engine components. clutch etc are not going to improve dyno numbers. Y ou have an engine performance problem.

Old 09-10-2006 | 09:12 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: fishguy

, I have found out that harley doesn't recommend the htcc heads on the 06's. They do not have an intake manifold that is suppose to fit those heads that will work with the new 06 throttle body. My dealer used the stock manifold. The intake ports on the httc heads are different. He claims that they make an adapter to allow you to use the stock manifold. Could this be my problem?
I also am having problems with my clutch grabbing at random times for no reason at low rpm. I also think that sometimes it is slipping under load. Could my problems be in the clutch area. I have an hyd clutch on the wifes and the other family members have the heavy duty spring installed on there bikes.
The bike now has 10,000 miles on it. The only other thing that has been changed is that the 06 has a bigger tire on the back. I changed the rear tire to the wide white wall ( smaller tire) when the bike was new. My speedo is off about 3 mph.
I need help please.
Greg

Couple things here I have to question......

#1. The dealer told you that they HAD to use the stock manifold, when there is a COMPLETE and correctly designed manifold with the 50mm induction unit (CVO models are equipped with it), already outfitted with 25's. It is the recommended unit for the HTCC build. This unit will increase your flow tremendously.....

#2. What does your primary fluid smell like.... Is it burning?? If your clutch is slipping under load, either someone failed to install the heavier spring, or you need a VPC unit...

#3. What size tire did you switch to, as the stock tire (MU85) is compatible to an MT90, and that is the standard size for the WWW... When I mean compatible is that they are the same diameter , and is a ZERO Fitment....

Old 09-10-2006 | 09:42 PM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

ORIGINAL: fishguy

, I have found out that harley doesn't recommend the htcc heads on the 06's. They do not have an intake manifold that is suppose to fit those heads that will work with the new 06 throttle body. My dealer used the stock manifold. The intake ports on the httc heads are different. He claims that they make an adapter to allow you to use the stock manifold. Could this be my problem?
I need help please.
Greg

Couple things here I have to question......

#1. The dealer told you that they HAD to use the stock manifold, when there is a COMPLETE and correctly designed manifold with the 50mm induction unit (CVO models are equipped with it), already outfitted with 25's. It is the recommended unit for the HTCC build. This unit will increase your flow tremendously.....
HE HAS HTCC HEADS, NOT HTTC PORTED - THERE IS NO MANIFOLD FOR HIS YEAR THAT MATCHES UP TO HEADS AND INJECTORS. HIS MANIFOLD IS THE 46MM 1 PIECE - HE CAN'T BOLT ON THE EARLIER RUNNER SECTION. HIS MOTOR HAS A DEFINITE MISMATCH IN MANIFOLD TO PORT. ALSO, ARE YOU CERTAIN THAT THE CVO BIKES HAD THE 50MM TBODY? I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THEY HAD THE 46 WITH A DIFFERENT INJECTOR. INITIALLY THERE WERE 3 INJECTORS FOR 06. THE 8 DEGREE FOR THE 46 MM STOCK BODY, THE SE INJECTOR IN THE SE 50MM BODY AND THE CVO INJECTOR. THE CVO INJECTOR WAS THE 25 WHICH BECAME THE NEW OE INJECTOR.

#2. What does your primary fluid smell like.... Is it burning?? If your clutch is slipping under load, either someone failed to install the heavier spring, or you need a VPC unit...
CLUTCH SLIPPAGE WOULD SHOW UP ON THE DYNO - OPERATOR IF SKILLED WOULD BE ABLE TO READ IT. HAS A HYDRAULIC CLUTCH - IF IT HAS FAT GRIPS THAT COULD BE THE ISSUE - HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES DON'T HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF RELEASE AS CABLES TEND TO HAVE. ALSO, AT THE #'S HE IS SHOOTING FOR, A STOCK CLUTCH SPRING WOULD READ CORRECT ON THE DYNO. #3. What size tire did you switch to, as the stock tire (MU85) is compatible to an MT90, and that is the standard size for the WWW... When I mean compatible is that they are the same diameter , and is a ZERO Fitment....