Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fatcat Big Bore baffles

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Fatcat Big Bore baffles

On Friday I called Fuel Moto to order a full system, PC5 and hi flow air filter, having settled on the D&D Fatcat. I explained that my bike was a new, box stock 2010 Ultra Classic 96" and was looking for a baffle with lets say an aggressive sound. The Fuel Moto rep advised that for the most sound I wanted the Big Bore baffle and I subsequently ordered it. I later heard that this baffle is only recommended for a 107" or bigger engine.

I've seen on this site what a great reputation Fuel Moto has and I have no doubt I can square this with them. I was just wondering if anyone could advise what I'd be in for if I ran the Big Baffle on a stock 96". I've e-mailed and called Fuel Moto but due to the long weekend haven't been able to get in touch with anyone (understandably). Hopefully my order hasn't shipped yet and they can swap it out with a more appropriate baffle if the BB is going to be a problem. Anyone have anything to add? Greatly appreciated!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 AM
C-Cat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you wanted sound, and the bog bore baffle has it. for a stock bike the quiet baffle will give you the best perf. especially low end tq. the quiet baffle has a deeper tone, while still having a nice barks when you get after it and will growl on decel. if you want something middle of the road d&d has also got the standard baffle, which will give you an agressive sound and still work well on the 96in.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 AM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master

Thanks PitDog....I guess I was more asking is the Big Bore going to do any damage to my stock 96" and will I notice crappy low end performance. Whereas the big bore baffle is designed for 107" or above I gotta believe there's going to be a loss somewhere. The question is where and how much?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Default Fatcat Big Bore Baffles

In my opinion, with the big bore, you will lose TQ on the lower end, You will not damage your engine, you will need a good tune in order to dial it in. Will it be a little sluggish, yes. My question is, have you ridden a 96 that really scoots (with good tq) what are you used to, and will you really be able to tell the difference? It's all in what you want and what you are used too.

There was an article out not too long ago that stated power differences between the different D&D baffles are very minimal.

As long as you do not open the box, D&D is real good at swapping parts. If you decide to go with the QB, you should not have a problem with D&D at all.

My feelings, "When in doubt switch it out" Been there and done that.

Good luck!

BD

Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master

Thanks BD...I appreciate the response. I called Leonard at D&D today and found him to be a wealth of knowledge and extremely helpful. As it turns out, D&D went to new baffles for the touring bike in '09 when all the changes were made to that bike. He explained that on the '09 & '10 Fatcats they no longer have a true "big bore" baffle although many retailers and suppliers are still referring to them as such. It seems to be more of an industry miscommunication and that there are now 3 different baffles available (can't remember what they're each called....quiet, louvered and ??? i think?). At any rate I gave him the part number I ordered and he informed me that there would be no issues at all on a 96" motor. My biggest concern was the possibility of a loss of torque down low, and he assured me it would be a non issue.

Thanks guys for your input to this thread!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Default Fat Cat Big Bore Baffles

Cool deal, & your welcome.

I need to have a conversation with him myself. Keep us posted.

BD

Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 AM
C-Cat
Tourer

had a qb on my fatcat, it was louvered and wrapped, swapped it out for a bigbore perf baffle and it was perforated with no wrapping. now i'm runnning a d&d boarzilla exhaust and have the boarzill quiet baffle, it's perforated and wrapped. this was for a 07 dyna.
batouttahell, i would go with the quiet baffle. it wil give you the best perf. with a stock 96in. and has the deepest tone out of all i've tried. they say the standard baffle is more raspy, and i believe they've sent you this baffle. not a bad thing, i just like the qb on a stock motor up to a 103ci.(had it on both) lots of low end, good on top too, it will be plenty loud when you twist the throttle, when you back off the gas and decel it has a mean a$$ growl to it. either one is a good choice and will be an improvement for sure!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:00 PM
matt816
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pitdog-
Im doing a 107 very soon, 10.4:1 comp. Trying to decide between fatcat and lowcat, standard baffle vs. big bore quiet.... What was your take on noise and performance level of the big bore? Any other advice?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 AM
C-Cat
Tourer

i didn't care for the bigbore baffle on the fatcat, it was deafening. i also went from a 103 with the qb to a 124ci. with the bigbore baffle on the fatcat. then i switched to the boarzilla with quiet perf. baffle. much the same as the bigbore quiet on the fatcat, except the boarzilla has larger prmary tubes for the extra cubes.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Default Fat Cat Big Bore Baffles

Matt,

I am currently running a high end 103 with the D&D Fatcat Performance Baffle, NEVER AGAIN! it's too loud. I've also heard the standard baffles on a few 107's I'd stay with the quiet qb's if I were you. Have you looked into Super Traps?

Quick Reply: Fatcat Big Bore baffles