Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Nash Internal Sticky Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nash Internal Sticky Throttle

Nash Sticky Throttle / 14” Pudgy Grits Review

I finally had the chance to take Bettie in to an Indy Tech. I bought the internal throttle with the Nash 14” Pudgy Grits.

The first thing we did was to remove all the controls from the 12” Mini Apes and off course the headlamp and bar clamp/speedo.

We decided to widen the central hole at the base of the bars. He also enlarged the right hand small hole (drainage?) at the bottom of the bar.
Then we mounted the Pudgies and measured up the electrical wiring. It was too short and had to be extended some, which he did with solder and heatshrink.

So we ran the wires from the bottom up. We used plain old wire (steel wire) with a hook at the one end and the other piece a loop. The wire was fed through the horizontal section till it hit the 90 degree bend. He then used the small drainage hole and angled the wire up and fed it through.

We then used masking tape to tape the electrical wiring to the steel wire and started feeding it though from the bottom. It’s a tight squeeze and he used a flat head screwdriver throughout to keep the plastic wire insulation moving up the bars. I kept tension and he fed it bit by bit with the help of the flat head.

We repeated the story on the other side. We mounted the clutch unit and put the grip on. The grip is about 1 inch too long so you could cut it at the base of the grip if you wanted. I decided to keep it like that.

Then came the throttle. He measured up the throttle cable (one was discarded). This we once again did from the bottom (through the enlarged drainage hole straight up the vertical). It went through much easier than I thought it would.

Getting the length of the cable was so tricky. Where the fuel cable goes through the body of the throttle (into the grip) is incidentally where you need to tighten the unit onto the bars O_o So you have to push the fuel cable in ever so carefully (like a fraction) then tighten the allen from outside the grip part and then push the wire through.

Then you tighten everything as per the instructions.

The lathed part of the bars are actually too thick on the brake unit side because with the throttle wires already in place the electrical bundle of wires stick out too much to put the brake reservoir unit back on. It would pinch the wires. So he once again went to his bench and basically opened up the clamp some. The hydraulic unit part of the clamp we left on and grinded it some. You’ll notice on HD bars there is a big dent in the bars under where the grip goes in…then you’ll understand what I mean.

He had the throttle cable a bit long and made a little sleeve for the end where it connects onto the throttle/air control.

We put the right grip on (which is also too long) and tightened the set screw a bit so that it cruises properly and doesn’t loosen up because of vibration.

We were busy from 08:00 to 13:00 with a few customers in between, so its NO walk in the park.

On to the functioning of the throttle:

The bike keeps its speed perfectly depending on the terrain off course.
Instead of keeping the clutch in when I’m slowing down and applying the brakes, I do what I’m supposed to and just roll the throttle forward till I have the speed I need.

I got used to it pretty easily and I’ve taught myself to always check if the throttle is closed when I’m standing still and when I’m braking hard.

As far as safety is concerned I'm happy with the fact that you can't turn the "cruise" off so you using it becomes instinctive.

Actually had to brake from 75mp/h at about 550 - 600 feet to avoid an accident scene and it went fine.

I love my new setup and would recommend the Sticky Throttle. It’s real smooth too.

All in all it was not your average garage job (maybe if you don’t go with the pudgies the wire/clamp story would be fine) but totally worth it.

Now if I can just lighten up my clutch pull!!!!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
gamboa.paco@gmail.com
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake line

having problem wraping up my NMC handlebar project due to the brake line. i just cant get my front brake to funcition. i've bled the line and still no response from the lever

please help.

gamboa.paco@gmail.com

Old 03-16-2013, 03:47 PM
billyb883
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey brother. Looking for ideas on the sticky throttle set up. Just curious if you would mind emailing me some pics of your set up. Couldn't figure out how to PM you so here's my email... billyblakeslee@yahoo.com Thanks brother.