Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Andrews 26G cams in my 88"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010 | 11:54 AM
Albritton
|
Advanced
Default Andrews 26G cams in my 88"

I have a 01 Heritage (fuel injected) and Im bout to put it in the shop to get the cam chain tensioners replaced. Im gonna get that kit that Harley came out with that replaces the timing chain,gears,tensioners, and oil pump and while I had the mechanic in there I was thinking that I can go ahead and put gear drive cams in with adjustable push rods..I figured it wouldnt really cost anymore labor since all he would have to do is slide the old out and slide in the new (I assume)?????I have been looking at the Andrews 26G cams..they seem to be good all around...Anybody have expierience with them? and does my statement above seem accurate?? I assume I can use the same tensioner kit from harley when replacing the cams also also?????????? thanks guys

Old 09-01-2010 | 12:29 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Good choice, and you'll enjoy the results.
Scott

Old 09-01-2010 | 12:36 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

There is no tensioner with gear drive cams as the chain is eliminated.

Old 09-01-2010 | 12:46 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Albritton
I have a 01 Heritage (fuel injected) and Im bout to put it in the shop to get the cam chain tensioners replaced. Im gonna get that kit that Harley came out with that replaces the timing chain,gears,tensioners, and oil pump and while I had the mechanic in there I was thinking that I can go ahead and put gear drive cams in with adjustable push rods..I figured it wouldnt really cost anymore labor since all he would have to do is slide the old out and slide in the new (I assume)?????I have been looking at the Andrews 26G cams..they seem to be good all around...Anybody have expierience with them? and does my statement above seem accurate?? I assume I can use the same tensioner kit from harley when replacing the cams also also?????????? thanks guys
Gear drive eliminates the chain & tensioners. If you have one you don't need the other.

Old 09-01-2010 | 12:51 PM
Albritton
|
Advanced

See now I feel like a idiot..This is my first rodeo with going in these motors. Is it alot more expensive to go all gear driven?

Old 09-01-2010 | 01:13 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I've read on these forums that the second set of stock tensioners will last longer because the chain gets polished on the first set. I don't know this from experience but if your budget is tight it's worth looking into.

Old 09-01-2010 | 01:53 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Albritton
See now I feel like a idiot..This is my first rodeo with going in these motors. Is it alot more expensive to go all gear driven?
The gears are quite a bit more expensive, but if you are weighing that against the cost of updating the spring tensioners to hydraulic, the price difference might not be that bad. Way more expensive in parts vs. going back with the stock spring tensioners.

Old 09-01-2010 | 05:19 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Make sure your installer checks engine pinion shaft runout which cannot be greater than .003" for gear driven cams. Also, replace your inner cam bearings with Torrington B148's. Lotta threads on here about cam change. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2010 | 05:26 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

No disrespect intended to rkharry but changing out to Torrington/full complement style is totally unnecessary, at least that's what Andrews Cams thinks. Change them yes but they believe the oem style is better and that is what they supply, so you can listen to scuttlebutt or take the word from the industry leader. Don't take my word for it, contact Andrews for yourself and see what they say.

Old 09-01-2010 | 07:46 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Originally Posted by qtrracer
No disrespect intended to rkharry but changing out to Torrington/full complement style is totally unnecessary, at least that's what Andrews Cams thinks. Change them yes but they believe the oem style is better and that is what they supply, so you can listen to scuttlebutt or take the word from the industry leader. Don't take my word for it, contact Andrews for yourself and see what they say.
None taken, but if you go to : http://www.andrewsproducts.com/Subpa...ical_index.htm you'll see in the installation instructions for gear driven cams (99-06) in pdf format, that what you said is incorrect. Step #9 in General Directions , and I quote " If the inner needle case bearings have a lot of miles on them, we recommend replacing both camshaft needle bearings with new Torrington B148 needle bearings." These bearings are included with Andrews part# 288901 that they sell along with the cams.

Quick Reply: Andrews 26G cams in my 88"