Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

1982 FXR Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1982 FXR Gas Tank

ORIGINAL: rmarion

Springer

Have you completed any re-coat projects? If so, what product did you use to remove the tank line with?

I just called Red-Kote, they said that the old material must be removed 100% prior to a new application. This might be extremly difficult.
I would try acetone first. It does a good job of removing Kreem Kote so it may work with the Red-Kote product as well. Put a gallon in the tank and seal it up. Then every so often reposition the tank so it soaks an area. I'd do that for a day (overnight as well) then open it up and see what comes out. If it doesn't work try other solvents like paint thinner or a stripper of some sort. Don't let any of it dry in the tank, sealing it up should stop that from happening.

Good luck and let use know what works.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 PM
rmarion
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

revising..............

I was talking with my old man.....and asked him about the hp on the FXR. He said depending on the outside temp and some other varibles, it dyno's between 114 & 117 hp...................

I must of been hearing things, oh well, 114 vs 145 it's fairly close........[8D]

I think we found some place to clean and re-coat the tank.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmarion

revising..............

I was talking with my old man.....and asked him about the hp on the FXR. He said depending on the outside temp and some other varibles, it dyno's between 114 & 117 hp...................

I must of been hearing things, oh well, 114 vs 145 it's fairly close........[8D]

I think we found some place to clean and re-coat the tank.
That sounds much more feasible. I emailed a friend who works at Branch (has for 30 years) and he has never seen a Shovel put out 145 HP. He said they (Branch Flowmetrics) have never raced any of their bikes either, but some of their customers may have. He can't remember any prototype FXRs coming through the shop, but is gonna ask Jerry if he remembers the bike and any details about it. I guess he still stops by the shop a couple times a week to work. I'll let you know if he has any info you could use.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
rmarion
Road Master

Just ask them about Dick Marion's bike.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:09 AM
rmarion
Road Master

here are some terrible pics I just took of my sons 1982 FXR (Dick Marion old bike, Grandpa's) bike.

The plan is to clean her up and represent again.

Name:  IMG_0476.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0477.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0478.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  29.3 KB

Old 09-15-2006, 12:00 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you post your Vin number (less the last 6 digits) we can tell you what year your bike is. At this point I don't believe it is a 1982. In 1982 the FXR's had shovelhead engines. The bike in the pictures you posted has an EVOLUTION engine. The EVO didn't come in the FXR (or any bike for that matter) until 1984. It is hard to see some parts of the bike that may identify the year in your pictures. It does have a pre 87 transmission and therefor leads me to believe your bike is between 1984-1986. The front forks seem to be 35mm and that would be consistent with pre 87. It is obviously customized as the rear fender would not have come on an FXR and it looks like it has a retro 3 light dash as well. The tank doesn't appear to be stock either. Other identifying parts would be rear chain or belt? Finned stock rear brake caliper?

It is clearly a branch bike as you pointed out from the paint scheme. It would not surprise me if you could find it in some vintage bike magazine.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

Thanks for posting the pics. I've forwarded them, along with Dick Marion's name, to my friend at Branch. That should help jog his memory.....

Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
rmarion
Road Master

30 yr Employee at Branch sounds like John O...........

BTW, John is working on my Oldman ride or within next few day.....Oldman is gonna pump out his Dyna thanks to Branch-O'keefe and Bennett Racing.

Hopefully within next few months my 06 SE Ultra will be giving them a visit...........
ORIGINAL: Spectrexx

Thanks for posting the pics. I've forwarded them, along with Dick Marion's name, to my friend at Branch. That should help jog his memory.....

Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 PM
rmarion
Road Master

Oldman says the bike was tested, dyno'ed and wrote up in some old bike rags...I could not find the info after some google searching.

BTW, I'll get the oldman to respond to the thread (he's original owner). Plus I've misinformed a few statements (not on purpose)

also, thanks for the help on the tank coating info.

ORIGINAL: springer_

It is clearly a branch bike as you pointed out from the paint scheme. It would not surprise me if you could find it in some vintage bike magazine.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

Here's the reply I just got.... It's not a 1982 though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We know that bike well. It's a 1984 FXR It's also the bike we did all of our testing with. We have a small book you may have seen That Jerry Branch wrote. We used that bike for all the testing.

HP that I recall was about 102 @ 80" Now that it's a bigger motor I don't know what it is. or what cam is in it.

When Dick Bought it he had all the paint work done to it,not us.

John O'Keefe

Quick Reply: 1982 FXR Gas Tank