Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Grounded bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
HD DAVEY
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounded bike

Help! I have a 2007 Sportster with 9500 miles. Never had any issues until a few weeks ago. Bike was starting very hard in the mornings after sitting all night. Ran great all day, no problems starting and runmning. replaced the plugs, but still cranked awhile and ran rough until it kicked in and ran after pumping the throttle. Now, she won't fire up. I am getting some sputtering an backfire from the air cleaner, but will not kick in & run. Checked all my connections, air filter is clean, new plugs seem clean & still sparking. Any suggestions before I have to take it back to my dealer? The engine light stays on, so I'm sure it's throwing out a code. Some tell me it's probably a sensor of some sort. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:35 AM
street racer
Advanced

Check the battery,do a load test and check the cold crancking amps any automotive battery store can do this.Check the battery cables make cure they are clean and tight.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about the IAC--Idle Air Controler. Sticking Maybe.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
HD DAVEY
6th Gear

OK...the battery checks out fine, and is still cranking and cranking. If I keep twisting on te throttle, it will barely run, but eventually choke out. Where can I locate the AIC on my bike? I will give it a try, and thanks so much for the responses.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
HD DAVEY
6th Gear

OK..read up on the IAC. I am back to the garage to clean this thing out, and see whjat happens. Can you visually see this pindle working? I see on some posts where it opens & closes. I am assuming when it's on and there is juice flowing through the electrical system.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM
HD DAVEY
6th Gear

Tonight I really dove in to the "meat" of some of these technical forums. I learned how to activate the speedo to read out any diagnostic codes. Lucky for me there were none. Tomorrow I go to the auto parts store and pick up some sea foam carb spray, and hit the IAC. Read up on this, and it's definitely worth a try.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 AM
slack20
Tourer

didnt some late model sportys have problems with the CPC Sensor that was the cause on my wifes friends sporty might want to take look at that.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM
HD DAVEY
6th Gear

Well I sprayed teh IAC with Sea Foam cleaner, and it appears to move in/out with the pressing of the start switch. Still not firing up and running smooth. Lots of backfire coming out of the intake. No problem codes reading out on the speedo. Any new suggestions? Is there a fuel filter I can check, or is it internally integrated into the pump? This is getting frustrating, and I'm missing out on som prime riding time. I haven't researched the CPC sensor, but will do that now. Any additional help is always appreciated. At least I am learning a lot about my bike?!?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:02 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crank Position Sensor! Check that and I bet it's the culprit. Let us know for future reference!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:34 PM
HD DAVEY
6th Gear

I dont know..everything is super clean. Can anyone tell me if the IAC is supposed to move in & out? It does when I hit the start switch, but cant tell if it does when trying to start the bike. I'm ready to bite the bullet and take it to the pros. It sucks because i have to get it towed there. Is there any way to check the CPS? I cleaned it and plugged it back in, but no difference.

Quick Reply: Grounded bike