Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Drilling Out Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 AM
inspector126
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling Out Pipes

I have a 2010 Heritage. Is there anything wrong with drilling a hole in the pipes for sound. I understand there is a need for back pressure. I'm told as long as the bike doesn't back fire, the back pressure would be fine. I'm thinking of about a 3/4" hole. The inside diameter of the pipe is 1 1/2.Can anybody give me some advice.

Also, can anybody tell me what the lowest sounding pipes out there to buy. I want sound but my wife doesn't care for it because she had ear problems. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

How about the Vance & Hines Straight Shots with the optional Quiet baffles? I think they're only around $50 the pair street price for the pair, and when inserted in the V & H mufflers, are only a bit louder than stock.

Also, when you say "lowest sounding pipes", do you mean the quietest in decibels, or the ones with the deepest pitch?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 AM
DanD
Road Captain

thunderheader has an awesome low rumble to it.I love mine.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by inspector126
I have a 2010 Heritage. Is there anything wrong with drilling a hole in the pipes for sound. I understand there is a need for back pressure. I'm told as long as the bike doesn't back fire, the back pressure would be fine. I'm thinking of about a 3/4" hole. The inside diameter of the pipe is 1 1/2.Can anybody give me some advice.

Also, can anybody tell me what the lowest sounding pipes out there to buy. I want sound but my wife doesn't care for it because she had ear problems. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Making a bigger hole in the exhaust will give a little more sound, but not much. As far as back pressure, your stock exhausts likely have a catalytic converter in the front so you will have way more back pressure than needed, so no worries there. The stock exhaust and intake are really restrictive and a little money on these two areas will allow your motor to breath and give you a noticable increase in throttle response and power.

You can drill the hole bigger, or I found a pointed 1" diameter steel bar at Home Depot in the concrete section. It is about 2' long and a couple of whacks with a big hammer will open up the hole.

I suggest you make the hole bigger before you buy new exhaust. You may like it and if so you are set. If not, you aren't out anything and you can still get aftermarket exhaust. However, making the hole bigger is a quick cheap way to make your quiet stock exhaust a smidge louder.

Edmo

Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 AM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Smile

EVERY bike I have heard with the stock exhaust drilled out sounds like crap, it will be louder but it will be irritating. Don't waste your time, go out bye a nice set of aftermarkets, you will be a lot happier.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What many guys have done for years is to buy a new set of drag pipes (cheap) and then drill a hole 5/16 dia. in the bottom of the pipes near the end and put a bolt in to create the needed backpresure.It really works and if you get tickets you still have your old pipes to get you out of them! Good Luck!