Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

engine build what you think

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engine build what you think

OK I think I may have selected a decent combo for my first build.
here goes.

Cam; SE 259E.. why SE, well the split duration will help exhaust gases flow out of non ported heads.

Heads; SE Kompressor cylinder heads, why, well I dont feel like pulling pistons out with only 3000 miles on them. these heads will get my static compresion up to 10.3:1 with there 73cc chamber.

Pushrods; SE -.030 that are recamended for the heads and cam, why, well SE perfect fit push rods are ligher then adjustable pushrods. So there will be less unsrung weight for the spring to control.

Head gasket; Cometic .030 why to get better squish. I hope this will work with the -.030 pushrod selection.

The bike is an 09 FatBob with a SE round style AC filter mount and zippers filter upgrade.

Exhaust is going to be a thunderHeader before I do the build.

Yes I do have a TTS race tuner.

Is there anything you guys recamend me doing or changing? Will I need compresion releases drilled in these heads?
Do you guys think this will net me 100 ftlbs or more? All info wellcome even 2 cents if you got some.
My driving habits are well free spirited with the ocational 3hour tour. Mostly free spirited.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

The static compression will be 10.66:1 and the dynamic will be 9.50:1 with 198 psi at cranking pressure.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
matt816
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the high ccp i would definitely consider comp releases. I dont know much about SE stuff but i bet itll easily provide what youre after. Tune dependent for sure. Just looked up the 259E, SE seems to like it with their 103 kit. A 47* intake closing will help bleed off some of that compression, but id still be alittle concerned with the tune and fuel availability. Its not in your plans, but Ive never understood why some people dont opt to bore and add pistons when you have it that far torn apart, i mean whats another $500 for an increase in displacement, compression and power......

Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,223 Likes on 1,608 Posts

You can get 100/100 (or better) for less money. Mill the heads, .030" head gasket, TW54 or TMan525 set the heads up for the selected cam), tune and go. If you want more, bore cyliners and go to 103". Compression releases are marginal but better to have them and use them; they will extend battery and starter life.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

Do you think I can get there with 211 se cam, 1.725 rockers, .030 gasket, -.060 pushrods and shave .045-.050 off the bottom of the head??
I would like to get 78cc from the heads, but dont know exectly how much to shave off the bottom to achieve that????

Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

What's your attraction to the SE cams? See my previous post #4; 82cc would work in that proposed configuration with stock rockers. You should seriously consider boring and increasing displacement to 103"; it's cheap power. Keep it simple.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
What's your attraction to the SE cams? See my previous post #4; 82cc would work in that proposed configuration with stock rockers. You should seriously consider boring and increasing displacement to 103"; it's cheap power. Keep it simple.
ditto, Head-quarters has been doing this for awhile.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl

Well if you dont have ported heads or bigger valves a split duration cam would help with the flow of exhaust. Now if I were to get the heads ported with bigger valves I wouldnt look at SE cams. Not to mension I here they are quieter too, and all the harleys Ive heard with SE cams the exhaust just sounds better.
Now as far as displacement is my engine has 3000 miles on it. Dont want to touch the cylinders and will not touch the cylinders unless I have to. When I do it will be for the RevPerf 107 kit.
As far as the rockers are I was just wanting them for two reasons: one being that I can still get a high lift without having such an agresive ramp on the cam to create unwanted noise. Two having the higher ratio rocker will open the valves faster. and I can still use my stock springs.

So far my parts bill is at $575 minus gaskets, beer and head work. I dont think that thats a bad price. certainly lot cheaper and less work then replacing pistons and cylinders.

I know that there are many cams out there. If I am wrong about the split duration please let me know.

Last edited by N-gin; 08-12-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Your present Air Cleaner

Thunderheader

TTS

SE-211

Stock heads ported by BigBoyz with .040 shaved off, manual compression releases installed.

.030 Cometic head gaskets

Torrington cam bearings

DONE

THAT will be a fun Dyna.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:06 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by N-gin
Well if you dont have ported heads or bigger valves a split duration cam would help with the flow of exhaust. Now if I were to get the heads ported with bigger valves I wouldnt look at SE cams. Not to mension I here they are quieter too, and all the harleys Ive heard with SE cams the exhaust just sounds better.
If by split duration cams you simply mean that intake duration is les than exhaust duration, I go news for ya, the MoCo cams are not the only split duration cams to choose from.
Furthermore, in '06 the heads were changed and most of the change was on the exhaust side; your heads actually flow pretty well on the exhaust side. The compressor heads are waste of money IMHO.
Now as far as displacement is my engine has 3000 miles on it. Dont want to touch the cylinders and will not touch the cylinders unless I have to. When I do it will be for the RevPerf 107 kit.
All I'm saying is that since you are pulling the heads, $300 will get you +7 cubic inches and at 1HP/TQ per cubic inch, that's about $40 per and that is cheap power and probably cheaper on a per cubic inch basis that you will gain from a cam/head change.

[quote-N-gin]As far as the rockers are I was just wanting them for two reasons: one being that I can still get a high lift without having such an agresive ramp on the cam to create unwanted noise. Two having the higher ratio rocker will open the valves faster. and I can still use my stock springs.[/quote]
Those heads don't flow after .500" lift, so the high ratio rockers are also a waste of money. Most of the aftermarket "bolt-in" cams don't have aggressive ramps and the stock beehive springs will handle them quite well.

So far my parts bill is at $575 minus gaskets, beer and head work. I dont think that thats a bad price. certainly lot cheaper and less work then replacing pistons and cylinders.
I guess I don't know what your plan is but the Compressor heads, 259E or 211 cams and high ratio rockers will run about $800 if purchased from Zanottis or anothe discount dealer but if you have managed to purchase that hardward for $575, it is an excellent price.

No trying to give you a hard time but having build a few varied configurations, I just think you are over thinking your approach. Your goal of 100TQ is very achievable and you can get several ways listed below, from least to most expensive.

1. Install the new Andrews 48H cam and tune.
2. Pull heads, install .030" head gasket, install SE204 or Adrews 37 cams and tune.
3. Add more by increasing displacement to 103.
4. Add more by sending heads to BigBoyz or the porter of your choice.

Quick Reply: engine build what you think