Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stage I & Hypercharger Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:59 AM
SuperBee
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage I & Hypercharger Question

I'm looking into doing the Stage I upgrade and was curious if any of you knew much about the Kuryakyn Hypercharger? I was looking to use that in place of the SE II Air Cleaner. I have a 2005 XL1200C. I'm looking to put SEII Slip-Ons as well as re-jetting the carb. Anything I'm missing? Have any of you put on a Hypercharger? Are you happy with it? Heard any problems? I'm all ears.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:38 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stage I & Hypercharger Question

The hypercharger is a good unit, I have used it on a couple of bikes.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:54 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a hypercharger on my old sporty and I'm not sure it made any more difference than just putting a high flow filter in the stock breather. The other problem I had is the rubber boots they used for the crankcase ventilation leaked oil and made a mess. Maybe they've changed the design since then.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:48 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

My dyno guys say that the Hypercharger is mostly hype, no charge. But you gotta do what's right for you. If I was spending the money, I'd go with a Forcewinder.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
SuperBee
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I find information on the Forcewinder? I'm open to suggestions. I thought the Hypercharger looks the best but for the money if it doesn't do much more...

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:04 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

You can pick them up at M&M cycles. Personally, I don't like the look of the forcewinder, but I don't drive chevys either. Point being, we are all different and it's a personal choice.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:47 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer
Personally, I don't like the look of the forcewinder, but I don't drive chevys either. Point being, we are all different and it's a personal choice.
Exactly. I've got one, but I don't drive Chevies either! There's another post somewhere in here by someone who had a Hypercharger and said that they like to suck in water if you get caught out in wet conditions.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:52 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 2goldens
but I don't drive Chevies either!
I used to drive only Fords, just like my Grandad. But now we have a 96 Jeep Laredo and a 92 Nissan truck. Still won't drive a chevy though.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:14 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Here's what I've gleaned concerning the Hypercharger:

1) (Q) Been thinking about putting a Kuryakyn Hypercharger on an S&S 'E'. Does the Hypercharger have a "ram air like" effect?
(A) Absolutely! At 160mph, it boosts psi by 20%. In other words, the thing is poseur-only technology.

2) Subject: Re: What is a Hypercharger?

I watched Larry Hardy of Performance Techniques in Huntington Beach CA dyno a 96 hp FXR with a Hypercharger. Horsepower was down 11 hp from their previous run and they took off the Hypercharger right there and gained the 11 horses back. They got the "hype" part of it correct. Stay away from it unless someone gives it to ya for free.

3) The hyper charger is nothing more than a glorified air cleaner with drawbacks. The units sucks in the rain badly. Also, if it takes too much vaccuum to pull the make believe throttle plates open and closed it will effect the V.O.E.S switch and timing. On a dyno with air being forced in the hypercharger there was no real hp gains, just better breathing. I never saw 7 hp as claimed, maybe 2 hp at tops. It's a glitter piece of bolt on chrome that requires special brackets to use and pretty much thats it.

4) I have a friend with one of these that ran his bike on the dyno. The HP curve had this weird oscillating line and the dyno operator said it was caused by the Hypercharger flapping.

So, put one on if you want. Just don't expect it to do much of anything that a normal air cleaner wil do much cheaper. After all, if they were so great, you'd be seeing them on race bikes!

And to repeat what a couple guys I know say, "All hype poser crap."