Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Cutting out / Fuel strarved.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 PM
taurus92
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting out / Fuel strarved.

99 FLSTC with 107CI Ultima Performance Engine.
About 8K miles on the engine.

Get about 104 miles (2 Gallons) of gas used and it cuts out like it does not have fuel. On the ride home today it started out abotu 89 miles. Cut out flipped to reserve and she started right back while rollign at 55. Flipped back to ON to see what would happen. About 12 miles down the road as I nervously passed each gas station she did it again. Flipped and flipped back OK this is pi$$ing me off. 3 miles up the hwy as I am debating exiting for fuel it cuts off hard. Hit reserve and she fires up as I swing onto the exit.

Fuel visable in both sides of the tank. Put 2.2 gallons in and make it the 22 miles home with no issue at all.

Was in the shop for this same issue on 7/22
Work they performed:
Re-route crossover
Drain Float Bowl
Clean debris form right side of of fuel tank feed hole
Clean screen on Pingle petcock
Re seal carb

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Each of the times this has happeened it is about 2 gallons down? Not venting out the gas cap?

BTW just flipping back from the reserve to see if that would cut it out again.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Something sounds clogged with trash, id be pulling lines and checking, starting at the tank. might be worth mention i have never done this so i am not sure..you may wish to wait on someone more experienced to come along.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 PM
shadylane
Advanced

Gas tank vent problem, vapor lock, sticking carb float or the in tank fuel screen is almost plugged up. Or a little bit of more than one of my suggestions

Last edited by shadylane; 07-30-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know if you have a vented gas cap or not, but next time it cuts out, try loosening the gas cap just a little. If the cap is a vented one, and the vents are clogged, then the gas can't flow cause air can't get into the tank to replace the volume. I had this happen on a different type of motor. The fix was to just buy a new cap.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 AM
taurus92
1st Gear

Don't know about the cap but I plan on replacing it today.

All the lines were checked last week when it was in the shop as well as the float.

This only happens about the 2 gallon down mark so maybe that is when there is enough space in there for the vacuum to build up. Does not matter hot or cold. Or distance from start. Happened early morning about 3 miles out. or Hot afternoon after more than 15 miles. Only thing consistant is gas to fill the tank back up.

Oh well with this still occuring it is stopping me from the MIS trip and laps around the track today.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Like said before,check for venting or something going on with the petcock.
If it's always at about 2 gallons,sounds like petcock.
Can the petcock be removed and disasembeled to check for junk inside or bad Orings?
Do you have a spare petcock to try?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:45 AM
taurus92
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Like said before,check for venting or something going on with the petcock.
If it's always at about 2 gallons,sounds like petcock.
Can the petcock be removed and disasembeled to check for junk inside or bad Orings?
Do you have a spare petcock to try?
Nope don't have a spare but think I am going to get the Pingle rebuild kit. and rebuild that petcock. Although the dealer put just a quart in the tank last week and drained it out through the reserve part. Not saying something might not be up with the main intake...

Got the new gas cap and after sucking air between the old & new cap there is definatly a difference. Thought that might do the trick. BUT on the way back it cut out again. Managaed to make it to the gas station on reserve.

2.066 Gallons again. Thankfully I made it as it was close to home and 9 miles between exits on 94 here.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:23 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Hows the crossover line?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
taurus92
1st Gear

Crossover line was redone at the dealer last week.

The Engineeer in me decided to do a little experiment. As I only had 7 miles on a full tank of gas and I have fuel and beverage lines laying around the house I just needed the correct size outside.

Turned off petcock.
Got an empty 5 gallon gas can.
Funnel to catch initial fuel line gas
Unhooked fuel line from petcock & caught initial gas
Hooked up line to petcock and placed in fuel can
After around 1.75 ~ 2 gallons in the can fuel slowed and cutoff from "On" position.

Swicthed to reserve and took on at least another gallon with no sign of slowing. Decided to shuoff petcock then and hook fuel line back up.

Went for a short ride with it on reserve and no issues.

Petcock is out of whack if it only can take that little bit of gas in the on postition.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Good test.

Quick Reply: Cutting out / Fuel strarved.