Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Smoke coming out of carbeurator

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 PM
whiteknuckletrip
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming out of carbeurator

I just bought a 91 lowrider custom and am completely new to biking/engines. the bike was running great until i came out to find that i couldn't move my choke on my s & s super up or down. i thought maybe it got bumped in the garage. i finally got it to go up and when i started the bike, it made a grinding noise and smoke(gas fumes) came out of the carb. any help is appreciated.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:28 PM
skidooer
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Smoke coming out of carbeurator

when I had my S&S carb on my motor sometimes it would half fire and the starter would grind and then stop and the smoke would come out of the air cleaner i think it is from to much fuel in the cylinders, some one had told me to also check my static timming

The following users liked this post:
OddJack (12-04-2022)
Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Smoke coming out of carbeurator

What I've learned after using the S&S carbs for several years, which by the way are one of the best on the market (it's the only carb I'll use), is that you really shouldn't use the enricher (choke) unless the air temp is well below freezing. Using it will quickly foul your plugs. Just twist the throttle a few times to get it started, then lock the throttle so the engine is running at about 1500 rpm until it warms up.

It sounds like your carb needs a rebuild kit. They are cheap and easy to do if you follow the instructions that come with it. You can also get the installation/jetting instructions on the S&S website. But, like skidooer said, timing may be contributing to the problem. I'm not sure about the grinding noise.... is it coming from the carb? That's wierd! Could be the starter doing it though, as skidooer mentioned. Do you have oil in the tank?

My advice.... order a FACTORY service manual for your bike before you touch anything (if you don't have one already). Don't waste money on the Clymer or Haynes books... they are only good for toilet paper and soaking up oil. Follow the instructions for setting the timing and use the S&S instructions for checking the carb.

The following users liked this post:
OddJack (12-04-2022)