Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Carb problems vs alltitude

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:20 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Carb problems vs alltitude

The older sporties did not have an accelerator pump on the CV's!!!!!! Hmmmmmm, check your main jet NEEDLE for a number, you may have the wrong carb on there.(sportster) The sporties ran a richer needle to compensate for no accelerator pump. The bike you have definately SHOULD have the accelerator pump on it being a 98, I think the carb was swapped for a sportster carb. and rejetted to get it running to sell. JMHO The PN for the sporty needle is 27094-88 and the numbers or letters on your needle should cross reference to it if it is a sporty carb.

Is there a possibility that the accel. pump nozzle is MISSING? Is there a hole in the inlet for it? When you take off the air filter and roll on the throttle (not running) does it ooze gas out in the throat of the carb from a hole where the accel. pump discharge SHOULD be at about the 5 oclock position??

You mention a 35/ 165 jet setup, these are not the jetting for your bike either, they should be in the 42/ 170 range, not sure of the exact numbers, but what you have is not the right ones indicating someone has worked your bike over real good. If you have the service manual, there is a section under carbs that will tell you the proper jetting in your factory carb. for your bike

Also you mention about never getting into the main jet??? This chart will show you where the different circuits come in.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2318/A8833C35707C41FE9CA190C68718E340.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-18-2005, 05:52 PM
lv2ridesoft*tails
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 Dyna also and it has the CV carb with the accelerator pump. The carb on my softail defenitly dont have any sign of a missing accelerator pump, so your probably right, the carb was probably switched and jetted for a sale. I have never seen a carb off of a older sporty so I coulnt tell you if it came from one. Aint it true that when people do the mod to the CV carbs some change the needle to a 27094-88 instead of using spacers, so even if it was a 27094-88 it wouldnt tell me anything except that the carb has been modified.

Everybody I have talked to has told me the same thing about the jets, 170 main and 42-45 slow. So its gotta be a switched carb. Ill be calling the Harley shop today to get a PN# for the '88 sporty carb, and then check mine.

The graph is cool. I didnt know that main jet came in that early. So I was probably getting into it just going through the gears on my way to the shop. Thanks

Question.... If I end up having to buy another carb, what would you suggest. Mikuni? CV? S&S? I want something that is pretty much bolt in without having to change alot of stuff and something that can be modified fairly easy. jets if I had to.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2005, 06:53 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

I know I'm going to hear about this .........but.........I'd go with the stock CV carb and do what it sounds like you're familiar with , up to a 45/46 on the low, space the main jet needle with 2 washers and take up the rest with the idle mixture adjustment ( adjust it to the highest an steadiest (best) idle and not the usual 2 1/2 turns that everyone thinks is the magical number). Don't drill the slide unless you are going to the drags as it can cause a hesitation and pop back under some circumstances. The S&S and Mic are good carbs, but the CV is right up there with them if it is set up right and can compensate for more with the slide than the others can. JMHO

Good luck and repost what you find out

Old 06-20-2005, 10:01 PM
lv2ridesoft*tails
Advanced

I just won a carb off eBay last night. CV off of a 1999 Electra Glide (so they say) they said they just put the dyno kit in so hopefully it works. Never know with eBay. And the funny thing is, is its coming from Indiana, same place I bought the scooter. Hmmmmm..... Maybe the bike will be reunited with the original carb it had in the first place........................[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Old 06-21-2005, 12:19 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Keep us posted.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:49 PM
lv2ridesoft*tails
Advanced

I got the carb in on Friday. First thing I did was pull it apart, checked the diaphram, spring, jets, emulsion tube,and the needle. Everything looked to be brand new, even the carb looked brand new. Put it on and the scooter still ran a little better but still a little like shi%. They had a 45 slow and a 185 main in it. I pulled it and put a 180, that seemed to clean it up a little, so I pulled that and put a 175 main, adjusted the mixture screw out about 2 1/4 turns and it runs good. No backfiring, spitting, or coughing, and im not fouling plugs anymore. But as far as the Dynojet kit, it doesent impress me. Actually I cant even tell the difference between my DynaGlide stock carb, and the modded carb. I guess im gonna have to put my scooter on the Dyno and let them tune it. Anyway, I cant complain, at least it runs w/o fouling the plugs.
But if anyone has access to the instructions for the dynojet kit and can scan them it would be appreciated. I looked at dynojet.com and their instructions arent that readable or detailed. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-27-2005, 02:13 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad you got it running better. I have never been impressed with the DynoJet either. A different set of jets and a 1998 1200 Sportster needle usually does the trick with just intake and exhaust mods.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-27-2005, 02:29 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it's running better, I think the dyno would be the best way to check the AFR and tell them you want a base line run first, to check the AFR and if it's not correct then I would go on with the dyno tune.

John TN