Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

1999 Sportster with forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:14 PM
decoria
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Sportster with forward controls

This is not a general question, but more a specific question for my situation that I posted on another forum a few days ago and got zero response.

My bike has been in the shop, partly tore down and waiting for my new Thunderheaders. Started life as a 883, now bored, new cams, carb work, new ignition system and so I want a performance exhaust. So Thunderheaders are ordered, about 3 weeks later, still no pipes. The dealer calls and is told that the Thunderheaders are on back order, they expect to have them back in stock, hopefully in two weeks. So my bike has been down for almost 3 weeks and now a maybe on the Thunderheaders in two weeks plus ship time. I told the shop to put back on my V&H Straight Shots and dyno tune it so that I can get it back and ride.

I still plan to get a new exhaust, most likely the Thunderheaders although I do not care for their look, but am more interested in power. This winter I plan to do some head work and the new pipes.

Now my question, who has 2 into 1 performance pipes that will fit a 1999 Sportster with forward controls? Thunderheader does, but most that I find only offer a pipe that will fit forward controls if the bike is a 2004 or newer Sportster. I was going with D&D, but checking with them, again the issue is the forward controls on a 99, so not an option. I talked to V&H and they told me that their Pro Pipe for my bike has been discontinued and that if I found any, even new, they would not support or warranty them.

So it appears that I have very limited options on a 99 Sportster with forward controls and am looking for any solid info on what might be out there that will work in my situation?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 PM
decoria
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The silence is deafening, I guess my only option is the Thunderheader.