Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

05 fatboy trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 05 fatboy trouble

i have o5 fatboy w/ 88" carbed when riding steady speed and twist on throttle i get a bad hesitation and then it will go. im not sure if is plugs, wires or carb. i have samson pipes and heavy breath screaming eagle air cleaner. im not sure if carb was re-jetted or not all work was done before i bought it
another problem i have is when i first get my bike out it idles normal once it warms up, but after i ride it for lil while it idles really high and sounds more like a honda w/ loud pipes. is this normal for carbed model? the others i ride w are fuel injected so i can go from theirs thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 07:27 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Start with the idle air mixture screw on the carb and the plugs. If you can see the idle air mixture screw it has been rejetted. It not, it has not. Google it up. It could also be that your carb needs to be cleaned among any other number of things but start simple. One more thing, check your battery cable connections too.

Drew

Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

ok thanks i will look into that right now

Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Samson_info
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
i have o5 fatboy w/ 88" carbed when riding steady speed and twist on throttle i get a bad hesitation and then it will go. im not sure if is plugs, wires or carb. i have samson pipes and heavy breath screaming eagle air cleaner. im not sure if carb was re-jetted or not all work was done before i bought it
another problem i have is when i first get my bike out it idles normal once it warms up, but after i ride it for lil while it idles really high and sounds more like a honda w/ loud pipes. is this normal for carbed model? the others i ride w are fuel injected so i can go from theirs thanks
it sounds like you are in need of a carb kit to help your cv carb work better, it that is what you have. mikuni has a carb kit as well. i have done some serious tweeking on carbs for many years. the old tilotson carb was very fun to make your bike scream. a bendix was very simple and the s&s carbs were easy as well. the cv carbs kit will come with a new spring for the slider. change the spring if you have a lighter bike but do not change it on a heavy bike. you dont want the slide to come up too fast because of a hesitation on throttle response because the slide comes up too quickly. just my 2 cents. one more thing i always used a 190 main jet but there will be those who say the 185 is fat enough for the high speed jet. between the 2 is about 2 mpg with the 185 getting the better gas mileage. it didnt matter to me because i wanted response right away from a roll on from like 60-100 mph. ahh the good ol' days.
thanks for letting me rant,
JR
Samson Exhaust

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks. Where is the best place to find the kit I need? Email me at blznlowxtreme@gmailcom if it easier for u