Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

What AFR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
infanterene
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know if its aligned right but I checked for sumping. How do I know if its aligned right? They are running as quieter than stock.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

On Andrews cams their is a dot on each cam. The dots need to be aligned with each other. Look at the pic in the middle of this page. If it is not aligned correctly it will put the cams off a tooth. The bike could run ok but not have full power. Did you install the cams? If not, ask the mechanic to verify.

If it were me, I'd get a TTS Mastertune before I paid $525 for a tune.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/camguidepage2.htm

Last edited by KumaRide; 07-23-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Infanterene
There is nothing wrong with your engine.
What I meant earlier is that right now what you have are very good parts. Assuming correct install what you are getting is about right. Give or take a little.

The point I was making is with stock heads, and some will argue, 85 HP is about all you can get thru the things. Maybe there is some tuning to get a little more but not much. Except for normal riding and some fun I wouldn't spend much on tuning till the heads are done. Just have to redo and spend another 300-500.

The cams are there waiting to do the rest of their job.

Since you are racing your friend, as a compare, the tuning could address the higher RPMs. However this friend tuned the bike maybe richen up the above 3500 RPM area.

That is just the sceem of all engines. I understand cost. Seems, do the cams first, or do the top end first. Gotta make a choice sometime.

Either one by itself gives about the same result. Then there is TB, and injectors but that is a nother story.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 AM
barrybasinger
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infanterene
Im disappointed with the results of the work on my 2010 Fatboy. I installed Woods TW6-6 with 4*, S&S aircleaner, and Exile pipes.

I know my pipes are not helping but 75hp/84tq sounds really low. I was expecting 80+hp and 95+tq.

My Dyno shows a steady 14-1 AFR. Wouldnt 13-5 make more power? Could my tune be so off? I know the tuner knows what he's doing, he's been racing for years. He used to prep my buddies Buell's and he was very competative.

I dont even want to add up how much ive spent to gain 10hp.
Won't comment on pipes, except to say that I once built two 80-inch engines that were identical except for pipes, and one made 82 horsepower and the other made 76--on the same dyno. Also, my Brother is a "pipe freak" and has gone through more pipes on one bike than most people do in a lifetime. What we've seen is that pipes can make a real difference, and many (most?) of the popular "stylish" ones are not too good from a performance perspective. The major factor seems to be the style of pipe, more than the brand.

As to AFR: Your ***-dyno wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 13.5 and 14.0 AFR. Having said that, I'd probably try something more like 12.5-12.8:1 to see if that bike likes a richer mixture. Just going to 13.5 probably won't make much difference over 14. Also, (assuming you have the ability) make your tuner-guy set up the "cruise" settings for around 14.5:1 or somewhat leaner, with the "power" settings at 12.5-13.0:1. I tune all of them that way, and I've lived with mine like that for many years. 14.x is not too lean, no matter what any "expert" in here or in a magazine tells you. Your gas mileage will be much better, too.

Many dyno operators will try to tune for 13.5:1 or so across the board. I've asked several why, and the response kinda boils down to "it's a nice safe setting" and won't screw up the bike--meaning no lawsuit/no bad publicity. My opinion is sorta that a successful tuner is too busy to ride much, and doesn't have an opportunity to live with various AFRs on any given combination for any length of time, so they go for the middle of the road. That is not a criticism, nor am I showing any disrespect, but like anyone else, they are in business and time is money. They don't have much incentive to do long-term experimenting. Having been a shop-owner, I understand that completely.

As to the TW6: I've used the W6 and W6H (Evo equivalents) several times. That cam will make power in the mid-range and lower end of the upper range, but it is normally not a higher-RPM cam. Is it 4 advanced. or 4 retarded? One would tend to favor higher RPM and therefore higher horsepower, while the other would tend to favor higher torque at lower RPM--and not quite so much horsepower. I think they work fine straight up. See what happens if you install it that way.

Wife's TC (88-inch, stock heads, Rinehearts, stage I, PC3, 510G, which is not really a perfect combination) makes about 85 lb/ft and pretty close to 80 HP ( I don't remember exactly, and I don't feel like trying to find the old dyno sheet). Point is, You could probably see a little bit more than you do with a little tweaking, seems to me.

Final suggestion would be to quit worrying about whether you have 5-6 less horsepower than might be possible, and concentrate on how it feels where you ride most often--which is probably around town or down the highway at 70-75 MPH. All of those are mid-RPM situations where torque is important, which is where the TW6/W6 series seem to shine. If you're just interested in power, Bob has other cams that work better for that.

But as always, it's your money, so do what you want.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM
barrybasinger
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
On Andrews cams their is a dot on each cam. The dots need to be aligned with each other. Look at the pic in the middle of this page. If it is not aligned correctly it will put the cams off a tooth. The bike could run ok but not have full power. Did you install the cams? If not, ask the mechanic to verify.

If it were me, I'd get a TTS Mastertune before I paid $525 for a tune.

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/camguidepage2.htm
1. On all cams, there are alignment marks of some sort, not just Andrews.
2. If it were off a tooth, it probably would not even start! And if you even tried, you'd probably hear expensive valve/piston/pushrod noises immediately.
3. After the purchase of that TTS, you'd still have to pay someone to tune it, unless one were knowledgeable enough to do it themselves--and if that was true we wouldn't be seeing the questions that were asked.

Dammit! ... Naw, I'll stop there. I had a bunch more to say about "internet experts", but I'll let it go...

Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by barrybasinger
1. On all cams, there are alignment marks of some sort, not just Andrews.
2. If it were off a tooth, it probably would not even start! And if you even tried, you'd probably hear expensive valve/piston/pushrod noises immediately.
3. After the purchase of that TTS, you'd still have to pay someone to tune it, unless one were knowledgeable enough to do it themselves--and if that was true we wouldn't be seeing the questions that were asked.

Dammit! ... Naw, I'll stop there. I had a bunch more to say about "internet experts", but I'll let it go...

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=10296.0

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...ation-157.html

Please, keep talking...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could the cam be retarded instead of advanced? Run a compression check and see where you're at.

Last edited by paul s; 07-23-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard enough to deal with a correctly assemeled machine.
If there is some suspecion the thing is put together wrong, take it apart and check.
Must start from good foundation. Just no other way. Have to know where you are at to get where you want to go.

Easy for me to say, I'm 72 and have been most places.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by barrybasinger

Ran across it this morning and reminded me of your numerous incorrect assessment's. For your edification ~

Originally Posted by shineybike
You might want to check the timing on the cams. I had andrews 26's put in my 95" build. It was dyno'd and came up with low hp and tq numbers. The builder checked the cams and one was off a tooth. Once it was corrected it came up to the numbers i was expecting. It ran fine with the cams off but just didn't have the power.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7244569-post5.html

Originally Posted by jfroehler
Just to finalize what happened to my Fltr. My indie dealer denied that there was anything wrong. He said that Harley Cams are POS. I took it back and demanded a closer look at what was going on. When I got it back he said that he didn't know what was wrong but they pulled it apart and put it back together and now it runs right. Go figure...He wouldn't own up to anything wrong but now I have 79 hp and 93 ft lbs of torque. He's no longer my mechanic. I suspect the cams were one tooth off.

Thanks for everyone's help....It certainly gave me some ammunition when took the bike back.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think something is off somewhere, here is my dyno sheet with the 6-6's, and the set-up's aren't "that different". We've both got a Stage 1 with cams. All of the people above talking about "matching components" are right, but in this situation, there aren't that many variables other than pipes and cam choice, and your cam choice is fine. I'm not familiar with those pipes, so I can't comment on if they're your problem of not. Between you and I, there is a 14-15 HP difference and a 19-20 TQ difference, so something just doesn't jive here. I'm just not good enough to be able to tell you what's off with yours. I hope you get it figured out though, because you've got a lot left on the table right now. And 525 is a lot for a tune. I had Jamie at fuelmoto do mine and he only charged me 195.00.

Attached Thumbnails What AFR?-jeffgfinal.jpg  

Quick Reply: What AFR?