Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Looking to squize out a little more HP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 AM
I CUT 1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to squize out a little more HP.

I've a 2006 FXSTI with a 95" build pushing 99hp and 97lbs torque. It's got about 7200 miles on the build, it runs great and has real nasty hit. One side of me says to leave it alone and enjoy, the other side says winter time is coming and lets make some plans for more power.
Now, right off the bat, I've two strikes against me. I'm still running the factory pipes with SE2 slip-ons and I had the tuner set the PC3 on the rich side when the dyno was done to help with heat issues. And now the cards I'm playing with,

10.25 to 1 SE cast pistons
Ported heads with 1.9" intake valve and SE beehive springs
SE 211 cams
SE adjustable push rods
Stock thickness head gaskets

Now, other than going with one of those less than eye appealing 2 in 1 pipes, I'm thinking the 211 cams will need to go, and this is where I'd like to some input. For right now, I'm thinking about staying with the chain drive. But if I go through with the upgrades and the runout is in spec., I may change up and go with the gear drive. I'm looking at the Woods W6H and the W8, also looking at the SE257. But I'm open to all input that would help wake things up.

Thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Different cams, 2-1 exhaust, re-tune.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Bore to 98".
Wood 408 cams.
A head that flows at/near 275 cfm @ 28".
51mm HPI t/body w/ 1.800" port.
D&D Fatcat, or Supertrapp 2/1.
At/near 115 ft/lbs, 110 hp, tuned correctly.
Scott

Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,808 Likes on 628 Posts

Scotts right about that and I think he is being a little conservative with the numbers.
He did a 98" build 8g cams stage 3 heads no throttle body work and I was running Vance and Hines BSS pipes and Joe tuned it the numbers were 113tq 115hp. Its a beast from what it was I have since put my screaming eagle 16ga double barrels back on and that helped on the low end compared to the BSS pipes

Scott and Joe both told me the D&D fatcat would really improve performance but at this point the look and sound just doesn't do it for me.

I'm happy
Joe

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

Been a while beaureed445, I see the silver had to go, bike is looking good.

Scott, wasn't really looking to tear down that far again. Was thinking more of a cam and maybe an exhaust upgrade that would work better with the rest of the setup I have now. But your suggestion will be keep in the notes.

cruisinmann, I too feel the same way about the exhaust. I know the 2 to 1 systems are the way to go for the performance minded, but to me the looks of most of them just suck.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
ep4shrt
Intermediate

Honestly I understand what your saying. I always thought that the looks of 2 into 1 were awful. Ive had drags, True duals, Etc. With that said trying to get the most out of my 106 build I went to 2 into 1 and have never looked back. I have actually got used to the looks and cant say enough about improved performance. I actually prefer the 2 into 1 now. I have run super trapps and now run Bassani's road rage. Seriously the 2 into 1 is the way to go. If you try them I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I HATED the looks of a 2-1, but decided to go for it about a year ago. It was the power out-put. I figured that I was leaving too much power on the table....I wasn't chasing numbers, but for the $$$ invested, I wanted EVERYTHING possible out of my build. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Scott on this one- I don't think adding 3 more cubic inches would be worth the $$$ spent. As I said before- cams, 2-1 exhaust, re-tune. If you want to add $$$ to the mix, add a set of Baisley heads to the recipe.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Originally Posted by beaureed445
I HATED the looks of a 2-1, but decided to go for it about a year ago. It was the power out-put. I figured that I was leaving too much power on the table....I wasn't chasing numbers, but for the $$$ invested, I wanted EVERYTHING possible out of my build. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Scott on this one- I don't think adding 3 more cubic inches would be worth the $$$ spent. As I said before- cams, 2-1 exhaust, re-tune. If you want to add $$$ to the mix, add a set of Baisley heads to the recipe.
Beau,
One of the main reasons I suggested the 98" kit is that the piston has 2.100" valve reliefs, to accomodate the use of larger valves, in order to get the air flow up in those heads, and not have to horse around with setting the pistons up in a piston vise, to machine clearance(even if possible) in the existing piston.
The 3.4 cubic inch increase, is a side benefit.
Scott

Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

Thanks for all the thoughts, 98" and 10.5 to 1 is what I should have done to start with. But for now I don't see the cost vs. power gain worth it to redo what I've got going on now. And talking around, I'm starting to have second thoughts about doing anything at all.
Well for starters, $300 for a set of SE-257 cams, at least $500 for a set of 2 to 1 pipes, then $200+ for the retune. Not too sure the power gains are going to be worth the $$$ investment because I'd like to see at least 10+ hp and 10+ lbs torque. What do you motor heads think about that??? Could this be doable???

Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

The 257's will kick up the hp, but they want more compression.
Even with that the low end torque will suffer.
What do your heads flow??
What lift will your behive's accept?? Are they Manleys??(.600"??)
Scott

Quick Reply: Looking to squize out a little more HP.