Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

88" Evo Rocker Box Gasket Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
scootadoc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 88" Evo Rocker Box Gasket Kits?

I have an Evo 88 (S&S Super Stock) and I'm having a heck of a time finding the proper rocker box gaskets. I pulled one cylinder apart today and the bottom gasket set is James, stamped #JGI-16779-97-X. Web searched all the usual sites. Nada, nichts, nuttin'.

Obviously these gaskets came from somewhere, but I can't seem to find the source. The guys at the H-D shop get that glazed-over look when I start talking Evo 88...they know 80's and 95's.

Does anyone out there have this engine? Got sources?

I'm also looking for the umbrella valves, although I figure these will be easier to find...probably generic H-D parts.

Thanks for any assistance!

Old 07-11-2010, 03:52 PM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 98 Posts

If the rocker boxes have the round hole in the middle then the only ones that fit are S&S. James or somebody else might make ones that fit but I don't know who stocks them. I get them direct from S&S.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
scootadoc
Intermediate
Default Evo 88 rocker boxes

Thanks for the info. These are the boxes with a rectangular hole in the cover. You can see the set-up by clicking this link:

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/scootadoc/2001%20Indian%20Scout/SandS%20Evo%2088/

Bought a set from local H-D (S&S gave me the number), but must have been for the 80". Did not even come close. Also bottom gasket was one-piece and I need 2 separate gaskets-one for valve side and one for pr side-on the bottom.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM
scootadoc
Intermediate
Default Evo 88 rocker box gaskets - update

Think I might have finally found a source for these gaskets: American Legends MC at:

https://www.legendmcs.com/

Haven't dealt with them before, but they have a huge selection of gaskets for H-D.

Anyway, ordered the set, so we'll see.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM
scootadoc
Intermediate
Default Rocker Box Gasket Follow-Up

Got the rocker box gasket kit from American Legends MC...the bottom gasket (between head and rocker base) fits ok.

This is the easy part, as the head tops are pretty much the same for all the Evos regardless of bore/stroke. The problem is the two rubber gaskets between the rocker box bottom/center and the box center/cover.

The kit I got is from Cometic, part#64027. The rubber gaskets on the pushrod (right) side have round corners on the stock gaskets, and the Cometics have squared corners.

Also the upper Cometic gasket is assymetrical, while the stock gasket is symmetrical.

Third problem is the umbrella valves. Can't remember if it was in this forum or the S&S forum, but someone posted a comment about the chamfer on the underside of the valve.

My stock umbrella valves have a short chamfer and then a flat where the valve lands on the rocker box middle frame. The Cometics have a big chamfer with little or no flat, making them sit higher when installed.

For clarification, you can go to this photo link:

http://s897.photobucket.com/albums/a...dS%20Evo%2088/

The original gaskets are from James Gaskets, but the JG tech I talked to said they haven't made this kit for several years.

The parts guy at the Harley shop had never heard of James Gaskets (he must be from another galaxy).

S&S didn't have a good number for me...once again the local H-D shop ran amok trying to x-ref the numbers with H-D parts.

I'm about ready to install the bottom gasket, goop up the old rubber ones with RTV, button it up and call it good.

Wrenching has its moments, but I'd rather be riding, thanks very much.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 AM
street racer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the upper gaskets for an evo sportster.Some companys like custom chrome were selling custom rocker box kits for big twin evo that used these gaskets.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:38 AM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

james kit is jgi-17042-92-SS and then use a standard (james is same as H-D number) jgi-17358-84-A for the square center... just a thought ... old post but it looked like it needed an answer