Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Hydraulic Tensioner Upgrade????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we're on the subject....

A buddy of mine with an 05 Ultra Classic would like to do the hydraulic tensioner upgrade too, but he doesn't want to have to buy the "hybrid" kit as HD calls it. What he would like to do is piece together his own kit and put a set of 09 CVO SE-255 cams in it. So far his parts list is:

09 Hydraulic Tensioner
09 Outter and Inner Roller Cam Chains
09 SE255 Cams
09 Torrington Inner Cam Bearings
09 Cam Gears (for the chains)
09 Oil Pump.

Is there any other parts he should be looking at? No, gear driven cams aren't an option at this point. He doesn't want them. Does anyone see why this couldn't be done?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re the chain, I used the new chain when I put mine in last fall. It is a different chain, and I believe I recall someone telling me it was more efficient than the stockers - but made a bit more noise, so EPA drove MoCo to use a different one. Anyway, I put the kit in and have no issues with it. Then again, I didn't have any issues with stocker - just 40k miles, and getting worried. When I took it apart the shoes definitely showed wear, but weren't quite at failure point. I reckon I won't have to worry about any of it again - and I've got better oil flow. Gotta be a good thing. Good luck with yours.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ftanner...hello from the brotherhood...John A Quitman #244 F&AM.

It may very well cost more to piece this all together as opposed to going the kit route. Unless....you happen to find people like me with some spare parts laying about.

I have a pair of NIB Torrington B-148 inner bearings.
I have both the new roller chain sprockets NIB.
I have the OUTER roller chain NIB.

These are leftovers from a recent upgrade that I just performed.
If wanted....PM me.

You did not mention the cam support plate and that is where the money is. Your buddy will have to upgrade that for the hydraulic conversion. Finding one lying around may be difficult and I'd almost bet the cost of the support plate alone would be as much-or-more than the hybrid kit.

I am of the understanding that 07' parts will also make the conversion, but you are right back to the $$$ issue again.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:27 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Can anybody here tell me how quickly the new pump should get wound-up. I am about ready to crank this thing after the upgrade and I have never had a dry-start rebuild on a Twin Cam. The build went well, but I have the early TC and had to plug an oil gallery in the support plate. Just wondering how long I have to stare at the red oil pressure warning light before I get comfortable.
I'm sure someone will correct me quickly if I'm wrong but I thought you could get oil running through the system if you turn the engine with the kill switch off then it should "charge" the lube system before it actually gets to fire up. Also giving everything a good coat of oil as you reassemble it a good idea for next time.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Road Warrior

Yep...that's what I plan to do. Leave the plugs pulled and roll it over some to get things moving. And yes...I did pre-lube it all. I have been inside a lot of motors, but this was my first trip through the TC.

What prompted the question was that I had read some posts on some other forums where guys had problems getting oil pressure, or had erratic oil pressure after the conversion. I was just curious about any quirks before I fired this thing off. It could be quite likely they had something screwed-up.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

ftanner...hello from the brotherhood...John A Quitman #244 F&AM.

It may very well cost more to piece this all together as opposed to going the kit route. Unless....you happen to find people like me with some spare parts laying about.

I have a pair of NIB Torrington B-148 inner bearings.
I have both the new roller chain sprockets NIB.
I have the OUTER roller chain NIB.

These are leftovers from a recent upgrade that I just performed.
If wanted....PM me.

You did not mention the cam support plate and that is where the money is. Your buddy will have to upgrade that for the hydraulic conversion. Finding one lying around may be difficult and I'd almost bet the cost of the support plate alone would be as much-or-more than the hybrid kit.

I am of the understanding that 07' parts will also make the conversion, but you are right back to the $$$ issue again.
Yeah. I forgot to mention the cam support plate too.

He's not as worried about the money. He just wants to do the upgrade "completely" rather than having a "hybrid" setup.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

When the time comes to upgrade my TC88 I intend using the hydraulic kit. I have yet to hear anything that persuades me otherwise! My local dealers both reckon it is the way to go and even including a mild cam upgrade the cost is better than going to a gear drive setup. Much as I like the idea of gears (they serve my Glide and Firebolt well enough!) I have no wish to spend more than I need to keep the Dyna going.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Road Warrior

tanner...I'd point him to one of the discount houses that peddle HD parts and go for the 07-n-up support plate. He will then need to have the cams that work with this set-up, because 07-n-newer cams are different. I understand the plate has no outer bearings and the journals run in the plate itself. I am not sure about the inner bearings. I believe they are B-168 though and somebody can chime-in here if they think the 168 will press into the 148 hole in the pre-07 TC case???

He will just have to purchase the cams he wants for the 07-n-newer support plate and the larger oil pump as well.

That Hybrid support plate is a nice and strong looking piece though. Mine is a brilliant anodized orange and I understand that JIMS machines those for the MOCO. I almost hated to put the cover back on it!

Last edited by 0734; 07-10-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
He's not as worried about the money. He just wants to do the upgrade "completely" rather than having a "hybrid" setup.

I did a full roller chain conversion back in March. Have him contact Herko for one stop shopping. PM me your email addy and I'll forward you some stuff from Herko.......

Old 07-10-2010, 03:57 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

tanner...I'd point him to one of the discount houses that peddle HD parts and go for the 07-n-up support plate. He will then need to have the cams that work with this set-up, because 07-n-newer cams are different. I understand the plate has no outer bearings and the journals run in the plate itself. I am not sure about the inner bearings. I believe they are B-168 though and somebody can chime-in here if they think the 168 will press into the 148 hole in the pre-07 TC case???

He will just have to purchase the cams he wants for the 07-n-newer support plate and the larger oil pump as well.

That Hybrid support plate is a nice and strong looking piece though. Mine is a brilliant anodized orange and I understand that JIMS machines those for the MOCO. I almost hated to put the cover back on it!
It looks like the hole for the bearings is the same size in the case. It's just the inner diameter of the bearings that is different.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Tensioner Upgrade????