Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

S&S BB106 vs RevPerf BB107

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Team?? Yeah, there is more than 1 over there that does chase that activity down..........and they will, according to them.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hillsidecycle is right on with the piston and rings set into the cilender.

I had that done with my engine not cause I couldn't, but because the people who did mind, do this for a living.
After all the parts are so carefully put together, how the rings and pistons live in the cilenders is so important. That and first breakin, make or break a build.

Also have JE forged flatops pistons. Flatops are something to think about with a bigger bore.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
AFHuey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the big deal with companies offering products cheap? They aren't advertising the prices. That's the only policy S&S has. I am almost a day away from pulling the trigger on the S&S kit. I just need to figure out my cam situation.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most late models do real well with torquer cams. These engines are geared so high that on the street, hard to get out of 3rd gear when you are fooling around. Also a torque cam gives a lot of plesant time when just putting artound.

Most Cams for the TC are high rev cams, almost all of them, because thats the way it has been done. The 2007 and up is all different.

T- Man and Bob Woods cams are different. High lift, close "Lobe Center Angles", (100-101) and agressive ramps are gonna get the job done real, real quick.
I'm running the TW 400-6, had a 7H, these arereally good cams. T Man 625 looks about right also. Need Bob Woods Lifters and the valve train stays quiet.
Check them out.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 06-23-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by BVBOB
I never said the spigot thickness was an issue and as you well know the spigot thickness is of very little importance in overall strength and stability, measure the spigot on a set of Axtel 4 1/8 bore cylinders sometime. The S&S kits also come with gaskets but you knew that as well also. And the original poster stated he can get them for 6 bills.
Like I said in my first post, I have ran the stock overbored with no issues and have also installed the 106 S&S kits, no comparison in liner thickness and liner thickness can be directly linked to stability during high temp operatin and over a long period of time and thousands of miles. I want the most I can get for my money and for value the S&S kits just plain beat the stock overbored.
Not sure why I was quoted concerning the Nikasil in this thread, I have never used them nor have any plans of ever doing so.
If I had to bore stock cylinders I would definitely use the piston that CP offers as it has a much broader skirt and better stability in the bore than the Wiseco, not that the Wiseco cant do the job I just feel the CP's are better, and available from Hyperformance or GMR as well as many other vendors.
And another invalid point I negleted to address, from your apparent vast years of engine building experience, is the fact that Wiesco Piston, Inc., Mentor Ohio, worlds LARGEST powersports piston manufacturer, supplys ALL the pistons to S&S for their 106" kit, and all the 4", and 4 1/8" bore pistons to them, as well as ALL the P&A group, and CVO group pistons to the Moco, Rev-Perf uses them, and they have supplied us, for almost as long as we have been in business.
CP does not. Wonder why that is?? I'll give you a hint, it ain't about money.
If your going to come to the plate, ready to swing the bat, please bring your "A" game, if wanting to discuss what WE do for a living.
In your closing statement, you mentioned 2 names. Interesting.
Maybe econner, might be able to shed some light on the subject of one of them..............

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 06-24-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my first set of Wiseco's over 35 years ago for my Kawi triple, 90HP out of 30CI and never had a problem. I've been sold on them ever since. I decided on the 3.885/103.72/1700cc set when I go back and have my crank done.

Last edited by paul s; 06-24-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely use the piston that CP offers as it has a much broader skirt and better stability in the bore than the Wiseco,

To my knowledge the 96 ci CP pistons look almost identical to the Wiesco's minus the skirt coatings.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if more skirt was needed Wiseco would have it.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
And another invalid point I negleted to address, from your apparent vast years of engine building experience, is the fact that Wiesco Piston, Inc., Mentor Ohio, worlds LARGEST powersports piston manufacturer, supplys ALL the pistons to S&S for their 106" kit, and all the 4", and 4 1/8" bore pistons to them, as well as ALL the P&A group, and CVO group pistons to the Moco, Rev-Perf uses them, and they have supplied us, for almost as long as we have been in business.
CP does not. Wonder why that is?? I'll give you a hint, it ain't about money.
If your going to come to the plate, ready to swing the bat, please bring your "A" game, if wanting to discuss what WE do for a living.
In your closing statement, you mentioned 2 names. Interesting.
Maybe econner, might be able to shed some light on the subject of one of them..............
Simply letting people know there are other choices out there, sorry if this threatens a potential sale for you, once again, since you can't seem to comprehend what you read, I stated I have used the Wiseco pistons with no problems, just feel a wider skirt is better suited for this application, my choice, you have yours. FWIW, name dropping Revperf will not instill confidence in anyone on these forums, you know their track record as well. I also have some Klobenschmidt (spelling?) pistons here from some CVO bikes, Wiseco doesn't do em all. Keep in mind, there are more products out there than woods cams and Wiseco pistons, (both GREAT products) I would think with all those years experience you would have seen this but some people are just trapped in the past. Stay status quo and the world will pass you by.
BTW, I'm 46 and built my first motor at the age of 15, that counts for a few years anyway but always keeping an open mind and learning.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a pic of the difference between the "slipper skirt" Wiseco piston and the CP, note the much wider skirt design of the CP, these are high quality forged units.

This is a link explaining the pro's and cons of the slipper skirt design.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/50...scription.html

Quick Reply: S&S BB106 vs RevPerf BB107