Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Disappointed in Rinehart pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010 | 08:50 PM
07RK/Gaub
|
Advanced
Default Disappointed in Rinehart pipes?

Got a new set of Rinehart pipes put on my 07 RK classic and I'm very disappointed with the fit. Had a small local mom n pop place order and install them. The guy was a Vance n Hines dealer but went through the trouble of becoming a Rinehart dealer in order to get the pipes I wanted. He has a good reputation around here and I like dealing with local folks if I can.

Anyhow when I went to pick up my bike he started showing me how there was a 3/8 inch gap on the right side heat shield that he couldn't close up. That's not the bad part on the left side the heat shield was almost a 1/2 inch to long with no way to get the muffler in the hanger. Beings he had put several days into coating the inside the pipes he decided he would cut and paint the end of the heat shield to make it fit.

So here I am with a brand new set of pipes that look like **** and I know are going to rust in no time. I explained to him that in no way should he have cut anything because now I would play hell returning them. One good thing is he took plenty of before and after pictures. He is right, this set of pipes would not have fit on my bike without the mods.

When I got home I called Streamline Industry which just started producing the pipes for Rinehart and explained what was up. To my shock they seem willing to work with me on getting this right. I can only hope. I've called Rinehart also and they knew of the problem I have and seem to be willing to make it right also. Sent both of them the pics.

Since I had the pipes install I've checked out at least ten bikes with Rinehart pipes, while some were not perfect fits none came close to mine. All of them had very little gap between the heat shield and where the muffler started raking up and all had about 3/4 gap between where the left pipe turns out and the starter. Mine has about 1/8 inch gap at best which explains the 1/2 inch he cut of the heat shield.

On the good side, I had my bike re tuned. Bike is running better than it ever has, has more power and sounds great. Just hope they stand by their product, paid way to much to settle for anything least than perfect.

Recon it's to late to ask but has anybody else had problems with the fit of Rinehart pipes?