Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Stage 1...Oh yeah!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 PM
skyking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1...Oh yeah!!!

For those of you still running your bike in the stock configuration, consider spending a couple of hundred dollars and doing the stage 1 upgrade. I just finished it on my 05 Road King, and the difference is quite impressive. The bike pulls harder through the gears, there's more torque, so less downshifting, and it sounds soooo good.

Let me tell you how I went about this. I ordered the SE air cleaner and the SE pro performance slip-on mufflers from www.zanottimotor.com. The air cleaner (part #29773-02B), retails for $140. Its $108 from Zanotti's. The mufflers, (part #64924-99), retail for $320. They were $250 from Zanotti's. With shipping, total was $375. I installed the air cleaner and mufflers, then rode the bike to HD for the stage 1 EFI download. The cost of the download was $182. That was for the module and installation. During the 25 mile ride home from the shop, I was astounded at how much better the bike ran. Sure wish HD would sell them already set up this way. The mufflers are louder than stock, but not obnoxiously so, and there is no backfiring or decel popping.

So for a total of $557, and one to two hours of your time, you can make a substantial improvement to the performance of your bike.

Regards,
Rick

Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stage 1...Oh yeah!!!

Definitely recommend the Stage I. My FXD is a carb bike, not EFI and the pipes I installed are V&H Big Shots, but there is a difference, keep track of your mileage though, mine seemed to fall off by 4-5 mpg's. The good thing about the Stage I upgrade is that it'll be done anyway as part of a 95" upgrade later on and in the interim, you get to have a little more fun with the cycle.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Beefcake
Tourer

Makes a big difference huh!?

I went with a Forcewinder and Thunderheaders and bumped my HP by 10 ponies.....the top-end torque improvement was also nice.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:15 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I concur. The Stage 1 with SEIIs is the best money I have spent on my bike. Huge difference in performance and sound. MPG did not suffer.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:04 PM
skyking
Tourer

Seems you guys already know what it took me a few months to figure out. I'm glad to see you all concur. Hopefully, those that either don't know about the stage 1, or are on the fence about whether or not to do it, will see all of our endorsements. I want everyone's bike to run as well as mine does now!

Regards,
Rick

Old 06-10-2005, 09:56 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

I thoroughly concur that the Stage 1 is the best pull for a buck. My mileage stayed about the same. Now I would have to say that the next step is a pair of SE 203 cams. It's like reinstalling another Stage 1 kit. Cams were $220 and about 4 hours of work. Pretty simple with the right tools. So have have fun - ride safe and try the Stage 203!!

Tom

Old 06-10-2005, 03:28 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the Stage 1 intake with Python slip-on mufflers before taking delivery of the bike.

Over the winter I had the SE 95" jugs and pistons installed along with HDFR heads, quick install push rods and EVO valves. Also changed the mufflers to Vance & Hines Ovals and added a high performance clutch spring & heavy duty valve springs.

Quite a performance gain. Now it gets 88 hp and 94 fp of torque.

Later this month, SE cams. They tell me to expect about 105 hp. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-10-2005, 04:18 PM
DCRANER
Tourer

Glad to hear the Stage I is really worth the cost.

I have a new 05 WG and am considering the 16 Gauge Double Barrel exhaust with a Stage I & reflash, thinking that would be a nice upgrade, look cool, and sound good without being too loud. I am under the impression the 16 Gauge DB is a little quieter the the SE II's.

Glad all have liked their upgrades.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:24 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Did the stage 1 myself a few weeks ago. Also a big difference. I have a California bike (emissions junk) and my mileage went way up after the installation. When I went to adjust the carb after the rejet found that the screw was barely a quarter turn out. MPG went way up, more power and it sounds like a Harley now.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:31 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Had them do my stage 1 at the dealership before taking delivery of my new Fat Boy
so I cant compare the before and after...but I'll take all your word for it that its
all good

Quick Reply: Stage 1...Oh yeah!!!