Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Can't turn motor over

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:37 PM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can't turn motor over

Ok, I'm hoping I didn't csrew something up. Got my motor back Saturday, been working on it evenings after work. Have everything together up to rocker arms and pushrods. Was going to turn motor over to find tdc so I can start adjusting pushrods, but I can't turn engine at all. Put it in gear and tried to turn rear wheel but it won't budge. Bottom end was assembled already along with pistons and cylinders when I recieved it. When I put the clutch and compensator back on the primary chain hung down under the comp sprocket just over the edge of the primary case and I torqued it down without knowing it was in a bind. When I noticed it I loosened the comp and moved the primary chain up and retorqued the comp sprocket. That is the only thing I can think of that I did wrong. Could that be causing it not to turn over? Should I pull the primary again and recheck the comp sprocket or could there be something else causing this? Any help will be greatly appreciated, I'm supposed to have it broken in and tuned on a dyno this Saturday. Thanks

Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Loosen all the pushrods, or better yet... take them out.

If it still doesn't turn over, pull in clutch and see if you can spin the back tire while in 6th. You ARE in 6th gear, right? 1st would be way too hard to turn with wheel.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 PM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Wurk! Guess I had a brainfart, I was trying to turn it in 1st gear. Went out and put it in 6th and low&behold it turns. Woohoo! Thought I might have really screwed up.