Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Not happy with my 2-1

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM
el_diablo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not happy with my 2-1

I'm sure this is a dead horse around here but I'm a newb so bear with me. I could give a damn if I gain or lose 1/10th of a hp or torque anywhere in the curve with any exhaust. I don't race this thing. I love the way my exhaust looks but I've never been completely happy with the sound. It's plenty loud, which is fine, but it doesn't have the deep bass sound that I'm after. It has more of a pitched bark.

Suggestions for the bike?

Supertrapp/paul yaffe 2-1 on my bike:

Old 05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
floater33
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only explanation i really have is that different exhausts sound different... i changed the 2-1 on my touring bike and put true duals on it because 1. i dont really care about going .2 of a sec faster when accelerating 2. i liked the sound the duals made.

dont get me wrong, some 2-1's sound good, and some TD's sound like hammered ****.
for what it's worth, i had a friend with supertrapp x-pipes on his bike, looked killer, sounded like a derby car missing on 3cylinders.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM
schmeg
Cruiser
Default 2-1

Pipe has no volume in the megaphone hence the barky tone. If you want a deep tone and you don't care about torque down low, go Rinehart 2-2. If you care about performance and tone, go Roadrage or Fatcat.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:31 PM
ecvjohnny
Tourer

get a thunderheader or rb racing 2n1.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Agreed with above. A longer pipe will give a deeper tone. I can't see a pipe that short having a deep rumble. I think of Supertrapp as quiet pipes as well. Never have heard one of those though. Whatever you decide let me know and I can get you what you need at a great price.

Drew

Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Like others said, longer is typically deeper. We are talkin pipes...

This may help some.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...t-systems.html

Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
el_diablo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Agreed with above. A longer pipe will give a deeper tone. I can't see a pipe that short having a deep rumble. I think of Supertrapp as quiet pipes as well. Never have heard one of those though. Whatever you decide let me know and I can get you what you need at a great price.

Drew

This one is anything but quiet. That's for sure. haha Everyone else seems to like them so I'm thinking of keeping them for shows rather than sell them. If I ever cleaned it enough to enter one..I ride this thing everywhere when I'm home. Personally, the 2-1 on mine gets obnoxious after a while..it's an in your face kind of sound.

The only 2-2 I've found that I really like so far (looks wise) is the rinehart crossbacks. I'm going to hunt for some sound clips. My bro-in-law has their slip ons on his 95" and they sound mean. I've heard their true duals on a friend's road king and they were impressive as well.

For 2-1s I really like the style I have because it's very uncommon, just maybe a little longer and faced down and/or out instead of up. Before anyone suggests it, I don't like the V&H one. Also don't want to compromise my woman's right foot. The one on it now can get a little toasty

Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that you don't have enough bungie cords holding the beer on the bike.
At first it looks enough but on close inspection there are places that need to be doubled up.
Just me though. But I have done this many times.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
el_diablo
Cruiser

haha, they were all I had and it was a short hop. Improvise, adapt, and overcome Gunny!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 AM
FIXNM
3rd Gear

Check out D & D Performance in Texas. Their "Fat Cat" 2:1 is a fantastic pipe, both in looks and performance!

Quick Reply: Not happy with my 2-1