Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

.......... Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .......... Problems.

Many thanks to DarkHorse Crank Works. Good people to deal with.
Special thanks to Redline. The best motorcycle repair shop in Pensacola.

Last edited by FLHXXHLF; 05-25-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you contacted Darkhorse?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM
SLPER
Intermediate
Default Piston Weight

Who took the correct accurate weight of the complete piston assembly?
Good luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Many thanks to DarkHorse Crank Works. Good people to deal with.
Special thanks to Redline. The best motorcycle repair shop in Pensacola.

Last edited by FLHXXHLF; 05-25-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 PM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

were both bikes tuned correctly and what are the builds?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

First of all.. there are all kinds of services that John offers, and that does NOT mean you got any of them or a few or what?

John offers a basic 'weld and true'. Just like it says. Then. there is that PLUS balancing. To properly balance a crank, one has to precisely measure the weights of the pistons, and this weight chart should have accompanied the crank to John.

Then there is that PLUS swapping out rods, etc for better rods...

What year bike? WHY did they go to John to begin with? A build? What WAS the build?

I have found John to be a decent guy, and I had R&R do MY crank, and he still helped me!

Something is not right with your approach to John or something. Someone calls me, confrontational, and I shut them down... NOT the builder got to them first!

Call John back and ask politely, what procedures were done to your cranks. Where they balanced, too? If so, what were the weights given to John by the builder?

My thoughts............ your builder did NOT have it balanced. Yes..... when my crank went bad, my hands AND *** went numb.

Then........ with a 'build' ... who did the tune? What tuning device was used? TTS? SERT? SEST? PC? What?

With my new $1400 balanced, trued, welded crank with H Beam rods is as smooth as glass. Something isn't right here. Did you do a different compensator? Clutch? ALL kinds of crap can cause vibrations.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 05-03-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

check your clutch first.
my crank cost a little more but i had them set it up so i would not break it i also explained to my builder exactly and i mean exactly that i was going to put this thru a test so far no problems..i have somevibration because i removed the balancers but i beat the snot out of my bike on occasions..
i would get your receipt and see axactly you paid for. more then likely you just got it welded and not balanced. call the builder first and see what him and john talked about be nice at first kind of mention to him you are not footing the bill and you would like him to cover his work..

Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey George

OP, I DO get a 'weirdness' kind of thing. I think it is something to do with the SE comp... but almost everybody says I am a nut. At some point. I will swap the stock one back in and see what's up. I have a 107 like you do.

John is one of the 'good guys' and truthfully....... there are NOT that many of those around. TWO builds doing the SAME thing sends up a BIG RED FLAG TO ME, BWTFDIK!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

I do remember at least one case where a "shop", "sent" the crank to Darkhorse, and then a crank issue surfaced.
Upon contact with Darkhorse, low and behold, there was no record of that work, nor any tell-tale markings either, but somehow, mysteriously, the "shop" billed the customer for work, that Darkhorse did not perform. Odd that other things of this nature have surfaced from the same "shop". "Shop" owner said it slipped though, without his notice. I've got one word for that. It start with Bull, and ends with $hit.
We are in constant contact with Hoban Bros.(Darkhorse) and we measure all gram weight as per needed, and supply them with that info, on a worksheet, as we have that tooling for doing all pre-99 crankwork in house.
We send ALL of the T/C crank work, as needed,(just recieved 4 from them, in the past 3 weeks) to Hoban Bros. with GREAT confidence. NEVER a problem with those industry leaders.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 05-04-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 AM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have more footboard buzz from my high performance motor from when it was stock but I was expecting this as one of the trade offs ,I have modified the engine on every bike I have ever owned and I have yet to have one that is as smooth and vibration free as when it was stock,I guess it is possible because lots of riders report stock like smoothness and smoother than stock high compression high performance engines,it just has never happened to me.

Quick Reply: .......... Problems.