Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stock EVO/simple mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Blown 331
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock EVO/simple mod questions

I have a 93 Softail Custom with an 80" EVO. It's totally stock other than drag pipes. Just wondering if anyone knew stock HP ratings or if any one had one dyno'd or what the rough quarter mile time would be? Just kinda curious on those. I don't really run my bike hard but just wondering.
I could use a little more power and was looking for some recommendions for some extra power. I want to start with bolt ones. The bike has 18k on it.
I was thinking maybe a carb, ignition or intake/air filter? I don't know just a whole lot about Harleys yet so I need some help selecting parts.
What would be a good carb? I think I have been told an S&S Super E or a 44mm Mikuni. How much does a cam help out? And I was told an ignition box makes a big difference too. Thanks guys!

Old 08-12-2006, 07:05 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stock EVO/simple mod questions

Cam,head porting will make this a different bike.Dont go mixing up different parts.Get a tried and proven kit from someone who has done the testing.S$S has various kits.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:30 PM
skidooer
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my 97 service manual it says 69HP for 80"evo, I put S&S super 80 kit on mine and it is a totally different bike S&S says it should be right at about 80HP but I do find that is in the mid RPM range before it really starts to pull but pull it does so I would have to say that I am satisfied, if your thinking porting be careful because the more you port the more you are in the upper RPM's you will have to go to get power.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blown 331...I have a 93 Softail Custom with an 80" EVO. It's totally stock other than drag pipes. Just wondering if anyone knew stock HP ratings or if any one had one dyno'd or what the rough quarter mile time would be? Just kinda curious on those. I don't really run my bike hard but just wondering...
Okay, I own a 93 so I feel your pain. The EPA had these bikes really strangled. My 93 service manual shows the stock bike at 69hp @5000 and 82 ft lbs @3600. I never had my stock bike dyno'd so I can't tell you if this is real or not. But I think the factory specs have a bit of fairy dust on them. If the bike is stock but has drag pipes on it, I can see why it might be a dog. Here's what I'd suggest based upon my own experience with the 93 EVO.

1) Get a low restriction air filter. SE, Ness, etc. Get rid of the stock filter 'box'. It's too restrictive and was designed to limit noise. Put this on, and you will have instant gratification.
2) Do some research and get a good cam. I run an Andrews EV27 in my 'glide. I think Andrews was recommending their EV3 for the softails back then. I'm certain there are even better cams out there now. And don't forget new adjustable pushrods and a Torrington bearing to replace the crap one HD put in. Major improvement that you can feel.
3) A decent set of pipes. Nothing against drag pipes, other than the noise, but there are better exhaust systems out there that make good power and the sound (in my opinion) is better.
4) Invest in a good iginition system. Dyna/Crane/SE. Anything is better than the stock HD system as it cuts out too soon.
5) Keep the stock CV carb and get it tuned. The stock CV is a decent carb on the 80" EVO. Yeah you can spend the $$$ for a Mikuni, S&S 'E', or whatever, but for that money you can get....
6) A mild port job on the stock heads. $300-400 is normal. Don't go ape crap wild. A good head man will know how to smooth them out. Might even recommend a small increase in compression ratio. Maybe 9.5:1 Then...
7) Find someone that has a dyno and knows how to tune. You'll see that the stock iginition system cuts out at around 5200 (I think) and the motor is just starting to make HP there. You should be able to rev (not sustained rpms) the stock EVO springs to around 6000 without any problems. I know that I've taken mine there a couple of times without any problems. A good tuner, with a quality dyno can make an 'easy' 90+hp and 100+ lb ft of torque, probably a lot more, with this combo. And it's very streetable and will give you very good fuel economy.

Under a couple grand and that's having someone else do the work. You'll be smiling....