Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Loud Valve Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM
edgerider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Valve Noise!

2007 TC96 Road King Classic with Thundermax Autotune, V&H Slash Cut slip-ons, Andrews 26 Cams... runs strong, louder exhaust sound than pre Andrews Cams, valves REALLY LOUD, adjustable SE push rods put in with cams, mechanic swears by Cam install and push rod replacement and adjustment... said with synthetic oil and new cams, will be louder valve chatter... but, man it's loud - worry that it going to chatter apart Put approximately 7,500 touring miles on since the job, and still runs strong, pipes clean, light gray..., doesn't burn any oil, gas mileage is fair @ around 40mpg... but man, the noise! Any ideas?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

syn oil & new cams louder?? BS,somethings wrong

Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I put in 26G's 5 years ago. After the swap, my bike was quiet when it was cold, but clattered like a Shovel when it got hot. I listened to the experts and adjusted the pushrods this way and that way, added the famous Baisley spring, and tried different lifters. Nothing changed it. At first it worried me. Now, I don't even notice the noise....I spoke to several other 26 users who had the same results after a swap and who could not remedy the problem.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

That cam does not have aggressive ramps.
It certainly should be quiet.
Adjust pushrods .140-.150" into the lifter, with a Baisley spring, or Zippers shim, and try some 20W50, that'll maintain viscosity at operating temp.
Should go almost stone silent.
Scott

Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
jspot35
Stage III
Default Loud Valvetrain!

I have almost the same issue with my 2004 FLT, Andrews 37G's, JIM's Hyrdrosolids. Adjust the pushrods and engine is quiet for about 30 mi. and then gets noisy, check the pushrods and they are loose again. Locknuts on pushrods still locked tight?? I have done this about five times now and am ready to just forget it and ride.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Got a few thousand on the scoot since the 95 inch build. After the third oil change I began to think I was hearing "clatter". Now that I am listening for it, I hear "CLATTER!" I've got the baisley spring, push-rods are in about .150", 20/50 oil, etc... you name it I've tried it. Its driving me crazy!! Told the little lady just last night that her riding days are over, because I am not riding this scooter making this kind of noise! Bike runs great! Pulls hard! Fuel mileage is fine! Oil pressure is great! Radio plays awesome but can't drown out the "CLATTER!" Going home tonight and use the wife's stethoscope and see if I can pinpoint where it is coming from. (If that don't work maybe she'll play doctor! :-) ) All friends tell me its just a Harley and to ride but I can't stand it. Friend called today and told me about a "carbon build up issue" on some builds and told me about a "water spray" in the throttle body trick that will remove it. Any of you hear of this?

Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out the newly available, I just saw anyhow, lifters from HeadQuarters and Woods. I believe they addressed this noise issur with these lifters.

I was like you for two years, about to quite riding---Put in woods lifters --beautiful silence now. Like a new stocker, quiet sewing machine.

And this with a Woods 400-6 cam now.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:31 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

It is not unusual for adjustable rods to "hit" the rod cover tubes and create a ticking noise that resonates up into the head

Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

just wondering,you got a pressure gage on it,whats the oil pressure when it warms up? oil light wont come on until allmost 0 pressure(3 or 4 i think)

Old 04-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You did mention the adjustables, if you did not use the tapered, the pushrods could be hitting the tubes. Check there first for the noise, it is pretty common.

Quick Reply: Loud Valve Noise!