Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Half tank of gas and sputtering at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
JoyRide
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half tank of gas and sputtering at idle.

Thought I'd share a tidbit that happened to me regarding my INTERNAL Fuel hose on my 02 EFI FatBoy.

Riding out to Sturgis in '04, somewhere in the flatlands of Nebraska, I noticed my bike started sputtering at a stop light. Gave it gas and it'd run fine at speed but whenever I came to a stop it would sputter at idle.

At my next gas fill up, the problem went away until I was about a quarter tank into the new fuel and the problem resurfaced.

I was told by my local HD Dealer that it was my Power Commander III... because it wasn't SCREAMIN' EAGLE. I told him he was full of it, I'd installed everything myself, SE Stage 1 kit, Power Commander and Samson Rip Saw pipes...and was running great for over a year. I went through a new air filter, changed plugs and wires, remapped the Commander, nothing touched my problem... everything was pointing to fuel. No leaks on the outer fuel hoses

Finally took it to Newport Cycles in Forest Hill Maryland.... great guys there. They'd discovered I'd sprung a couple PIN HOLE LEAKS on the INTERNAL FUEL HOSE running from the EFI Fuel pump to the quick connect on the outside of the tank. Apparently from rubbing on the inside of the tank. When the fuel went low enough, it would start sucking air.... which explains the sputtering. They replaced the hose and it's been running like gang-busters ever since!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Half tank of gas and sputtering at idle.

yup, that happens on EFI bikes. Sorry, not new.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:26 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Half tank of gas and sputtering at idle.

Thanks for sharing. It's a known problem, but good to know that people still make an attempt to let others know!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM
af239
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half tank of gas and sputtering

If this a known problem is H-D picking up the cost to repair this and have they made improvments for this not to happen again.