Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Teach me about the cam chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Blown 331
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well now I'm thinking of going with a gear drive. Looks like it might be easier and provide more power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANDRE...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Blown 331
Cruiser

Anyone have a write up on the gear drive install? I can't seem to find one.

Edit. Upon more research I think I am going to stay away from the gear drive. I am now almost considering just buying new shoes and gasket and installing these parts only. I'll be good to go for a long time. This is like nothing I've ever done. I'm always installing cams, pistons etc in anything I take apart. But this is my road trip bike and while upgrading the cams would be nice it doesn't seem worth it. $1000 for cams? (inc tunning etc). I think I'm saying screw that. I'm wanting a shovelhead to hop up and ride around town.

Last edited by Blown 331; 05-05-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 PM
schmeg
Cruiser

I don't have a big problem with the chains. I run 6H's with them. About as much lift as you can run with chains which is one big drawback to chains. Just run good clean oil, keep motor from getting too hot.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown 331
Anyone have a write up on the gear drive install? I can't seem to find one.

Edit. Upon more research I think I am going to stay away from the gear drive. I am now almost considering just buying new shoes and gasket and installing these parts only. I'll be good to go for a long time. This is like nothing I've ever done. I'm always installing cams, pistons etc in anything I take apart. But this is my road trip bike and while upgrading the cams would be nice it doesn't seem worth it. $1000 for cams? (inc tunning etc). I think I'm saying screw that. I'm wanting a shovelhead to hop up and ride around town.
Dont get discouraged. You can have some nice performance gains without breaking the bank. 21's work great in an 88". Others like 203's and 26's. All these can be found used with low mileage or new. I also use a DFO/TFI and the bike runs great. Its easy to get caught up in all the crap about whats best and what is not... All I know is that 21's, a 2n1 and the DFO made the bike wake up, is more fun to ride, 1up and 2up. And, without breaking the bank.

btw - Im still running the original spring tensioners even after installing cams. May just replace them when needed. After all, the second set should last at least 50ooo miles. Again, lots of choices and lots of things will work.

Last edited by KumaRide; 05-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Blown 331
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Dont get discouraged. You can have some nice performance gains without breaking the bank. 21's work great in an 88". Others like 203's and 26's. All these can be found used with low mileage or new. I also use a DFO/TFI and the bike runs great. Its easy to get caught up in all the crap about whats best and what is not... All I know is that 21's, a 2n1 and the DFO made the bike wake up, is more fun to ride, 1up and 2up. And, without breaking the bank.

btw - Im still running the original spring tensioners even after installing cams. May just replace them when needed. After all, the second set should last at least 50ooo miles. Again, lots of choices and lots of things will work.
My bike is at 29,000 and Im kind of worried about the tensioners. I am debating opening the cam chest up right now and just check them out. I know the outer one can be seen easily. But I read that a lot of time the inner one will wear sooner but I also saw a write up where a guy was able to retract the innder tensioner and pin it back then inspect it with a dental mirror, that was the cams dont even come out.
Just from talking to some local guys that ride I'm leaning toward the 203s. The tunning side I haven't gotten figured out yet.
Anyone have the part numbers for the tensioners so I can look them up online?
Thanks for everyones help.

Last edited by Blown 331; 05-06-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
shadylane
Advanced

If you inspect the inner tensioner, plan on replacing it. When you pry it up and pin it there is a chance of breaking it...Don't ask how I know this.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Blown 331
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shadylane
If you inspect the inner tensioner, plan on replacing it. When you pry it up and pin it there is a chance of breaking it...Don't ask how I know this.
Thanks for the tip. I found the part numbers for the tensioners on another thread, it should be up top in the touring forum. Zanotti gets like $44 each for them. I think I'll go ahead and order them and have them waiting while I open it up to inspect. I know it will need them sooner or later so it's not going to be a waste. Then if it needs them now I can just put them in with minimal down time and not have to pay retail for them.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:58 PM
shadylane
Advanced

Let us know how worn the tensioners were. I pressed my cams into the cam-plate before trying to install the spring loaded tensioner. I had to press the cams out again. Even Godzilla isn't strong enough to over power the spring to put the tensioner on its post......Don't make my mistake.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Just Don
Cruiser

Tensioners! What a mixed blessing hearing I needed to worry about this at 30K when I went to pick up my amsoil for my maintenance. Anyway. Checked my tensioner pads over the weekend. 30,500 miles. Very little real wear, but some pitting, or opening of the dreaded air pockets is evident. This leads to more rapid deterioration. Exchanged several e-mails with John regarding the Herko Kit. I'm trying to keep my cost down because I really don't have any performance issues for my style of riding. However .... if I go with the recommended 21N cams, I'm told I need a rather pricey re-tune. I'm now leaning toward just the pad replacement, or going with the HD upgrade with the new style pads and improved oil pump. According to John, you cannot re-use the stock cams with his Herko Kit. Send me a private message if you want a copy of our e-mail exchanges.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Replace whats worn, install a set of Andrews 26's and set the squeeze at 9.6.
Tune it, ride it.
Scott

Quick Reply: Teach me about the cam chain issues