Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Budget 95"....someone help a brother out!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget 95"....someone help a brother out!

I'm looking to start building a 95" for my bob. I've seen sooooo many options out there. I was looking to build something with the option of upgrading heads later. I can get the 95" SE cylinders online, but I'm unsure of what cam and piston to go with. I've heard many good things about andrews cams, but I really haven't heard much about the Screamin Eagle cams. My engine builder is all about HD stuff and the quality of Harley. He recommend all HD cylinders, cams, pistons, etc. I would want to run high compression later down the road...maybe somewhere in the 10.5:1 range. I would just like to save some cash and buy all my stuff online instead of through the stealership to save some $$$$$, Christmas is coming up and the woman wants something nice.....LOL. I'm kind of still new to bikes and such, so can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Budget 95"....someone help a brother out!

I also like the quality of the Harley components. A big advantage of using HD parts is in the event of a failure on the road, they are much easier to come by than aftermarket or special order parts.

Here's a budget build that may not require future work.

$130 Bore your stock cylinders
$299 Port your stock heads
$279 HD SE-203 cams (order at Zanotti's online for 20% off)
$129 SE Pistons (order at Zanotti's online for 20% off)
$25 Measure heads (add $70 if milling is needed)
$95 Top end gaskets (approximately)
$100 replace cam chain tensioners (based on condition/mileage)
$120 New Stock HD lifters (based on mileage)
$120 Pushrods (may be able to reuse stock if stack height isn't affected)

Boring your stock cylinders yields a better cylinder than buying a SE 95" cylinder. Piston selection to be determined based on combustion chamber measurements and desired compression ratio. If the combustion chambers are large enough you can forgo the milling and use a higher compression piston or you can measure and mill the heads and use a flat top piston. I would recommend against 10.5:1 compression range in favor of a more ridable street build that will be more gas friendly. Mentioned are SE chain drive cams. They are less costly initially but require you to check/change the tensioners ever 30K miles or so. I included new tensioners and lifters because I don't know the mileage on your bike, you may not need the lifters as of yet. Same recommendation, check/change lifters every 30K for preventive maintenance (gear or chain drive cams). Pushrods may be able to be retained if the stack height doesn't change much. You could go with perfect fit pushrods if the stack changes +-.030" or +-.060". OR you can change to a quick install type adjustable pushrod so future maintenance of the valve train is easier. I noticed you already have a PCIII for tuning.

Feel free to call if you have any questions about the suggestions I made.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 PM
jimb
Road Master

This is what I did.
$300.00 SE cylinders
$279.00 203 cams
$200.00 SE ignition
$130.00 SE 9:25-1 pistons.
$90.00 top end gasket kit
cam installation kit.

I got all of this for about $850.00.The place I bought it from gave me 20% off.It cost me $115 to have the cams swapped out and the tensioners replaced.I did all the work with the help of a friend who's a mechanic.I took the cam plate out and took it to a dealership to have them swapped out.It took us about 8 hours total.It would have taken me longer but my buddy ia an experienced wrench so he helped a lot.This was the first time I ever done any type of engine work on a bike and his first on a harley.I stuck with SE parts.I basically did a stage 2 big bore right out of the SE catalog.I jetted the stock carb with a 195 main jet a 48 slow and a 1200 sporty needle and my bike runs great.I know there are a million different aftermarket parts out there, and most of them are good parts.A lot of different combinations out there too.This is what I did and I'm diggin' it.Also check out Joe Mintons article on American Rider.comThey pull something like 90/95 with some different parts.Under a grand.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

Not bad. I'd like to keep it under $1000 for now. I have a guy that will do the install for cheap, so I should be able to keep it under $1,000 with the install. I'd like to get at least 100ft/lbs of torque, but I know I can't probably do it w\o changing the heads. I would like 100hp/100ft/lbs, but i know that will be alot more cash.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
jimb
Road Master

You can get close to 100 on the torque, but probably not the horsepower.Personally ,I'm not real concerned with the HP numbers.Usually when you hit peak HP,you are way up in the RPM range anyway, up where I'm not usually at.My riding is done mostly in the city, light to light, with the occasional freeway burst.So for me,torque in the 1500-4500 was my goal.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

buy some SE 95" pistons...send your jugs and heads to BigBoyz(i have heard theyre great)...buy some Andrews 26 or 37g's...do the work yourself

Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very informative post. This is along the lines of what I want to do. How much more to go with the gear drive set-up? My bike has 8000 miles. Do you think everything else should be in good shape that has mileage conditions?

Sorry to rob the post
Traceman

ORIGINAL: springer_

I also like the quality of the Harley components. A big advantage of using HD parts is in the event of a failure on the road, they are much easier to come by than aftermarket or special order parts.

Here's a budget build that may not require future work.

$130 Bore your stock cylinders
$299 Port your stock heads
$279 HD SE-203 cams (order at Zanotti's online for 20% off)
$129 SE Pistons (order at Zanotti's online for 20% off)
$25 Measure heads (add $70 if milling is needed)
$95 Top end gaskets (approximately)
$100 replace cam chain tensioners (based on condition/mileage)
$120 New Stock HD lifters (based on mileage)
$120 Pushrods (may be able to reuse stock if stack height isn't affected)

Boring your stock cylinders yields a better cylinder than buying a SE 95" cylinder. Piston selection to be determined based on combustion chamber measurements and desired compression ratio. If the combustion chambers are large enough you can forgo the milling and use a higher compression piston or you can measure and mill the heads and use a flat top piston. I would recommend against 10.5:1 compression range in favor of a more ridable street build that will be more gas friendly. Mentioned are SE chain drive cams. They are less costly initially but require you to check/change the tensioners ever 30K miles or so. I included new tensioners and lifters because I don't know the mileage on your bike, you may not need the lifters as of yet. Same recommendation, check/change lifters every 30K for preventive maintenance (gear or chain drive cams). Pushrods may be able to be retained if the stack height doesn't change much. You could go with perfect fit pushrods if the stack changes +-.030" or +-.060". OR you can change to a quick install type adjustable pushrod so future maintenance of the valve train is easier. I noticed you already have a PCIII for tuning.

Feel free to call if you have any questions about the suggestions I made.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this one out:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_470640/tm.htm

Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

gear drive'll run ya bout 700 for cams, gears, & install(bearings) kit....an i seen PipeDaddy's on the dyno...very impressive

Old 08-09-2006, 01:58 PM
jfclague
Stage I

ORIGINAL: jimb

Also check out Joe Mintons article on American Rider.comThey pull something like 90/95 with some different parts.Under a grand.

http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1054045

http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=1054261

Hope this helps.

Jim

Quick Reply: Budget 95"....someone help a brother out!