Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Fuel Pump Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010 | 06:27 PM
wareever
|
Intermediate
Default Fuel Pump Noise

I have an 05 Ultra and it has always made the usual fuel pump priming sound before starting it, but for about a week now, it has an additional "hissing" sound along with the one I've been used to for so long. The duration of the pump priming is the same, but it just has that additional hissing sound now. Bike has almost 30k on it and I am hoping that it is not the beginning of the pump failing. I want to ride...not push!

Any similar experiences?

Old 04-10-2010 | 06:31 PM
wareever
|
Intermediate

Went on a poker run today and the bike ran a bit odd. Some hesitation, a few coughs and some deceleration gargles. After a little online research, I found this article:

http://www.hdtalking.com/diagnostics...in_spurts.html

This sounds exactly what my problem is.

And thanks to Mr VTX and this forum, I found this:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...to-w-pics.html

I'll have to wait until next weekend before performing Mr VTX's excellent How-To, but I'll make another post on how it goes.

Old 04-17-2010 | 07:39 PM
wareever
|
Intermediate

Update.

Purchased the fuel filter kit and replaced the fuel filter. The old one you could hardly blow through. The fuel line was fine, but I replaced it anyway. I did notice that the fuel regulator, which is adjacent to the fuel filter in the same housing, became unseated a bit somehow. I could see the o-ring protruding out between the regulator and the housing. I don't know if pressure due to the clogged filter had anything to do with it, but I reseated it and put it all back together and bike is running nice and smooth.

I pretty much used the link above as my guide with the exception of removing the gas from the tank. I just used some 5/16" automotive fuel line and siphoned it out.