Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Take A Look At These Heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 PM
hawkdsl
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Take A Look At These Heads

Torn down my 95 TC today so I can send my heads in for some Compression Releases. These heads (worked by cycle rama) look pretty good to me as far as to what to expect after about 3 thousand miles. I'm running a 44mm CV, but I forgot what the jets are, but I'm pretty sure they are 48 and 195, with 2 1/2 out on the mix screw. The pistons look the same. To make a long story short, after a similar tear down last fall, I fubar'd the piston rings during reinstal... pinched second compression ring when it slipped out'a the ring compressor... but kept hammering away wondering why the dam thing wouldn't go in.. so now I'm in for some new cylinders and pistons too. Guess its a good thing I cough it now.. deep groove in the front bucket on the carb side wasted that one for sure.

Anyway, tell me what you think of my carb settings based on looking at the condition of these heads. Too rich? Too Lean? I figure you can tell allot better with the heads rather then the spark plugs.

Attached Thumbnails Take A Look At These Heads-rear.jpg   Take A Look At These Heads-front.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Looks like 'ol Wes uses Headquaters valves.
Scott

Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this engine going through oil?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

what do the tops of the pistons look like? heads look ok but hard to tell.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 PM
hawkdsl
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mtclassic: Pistons look the same.. they are still silver as new close to the cylinder walls, with some very thin carbon build up in the centers. These pics are UNCLEANED heads. Thats what they looked like when I flipped them over. They have about 3,000 miles on them at this point.

Splitting lanes: Not a drop, and zero oil mist out of the carb. The pistons are Cycle-Rama as well, and they have some unusually fat rings (I'd say 1 and a 1/2 times fatter then the flat top HD Big Bore rings). Oil ring too. I cut them myself, as I went cheap, and didn't send in the cylinders to get honed to the pistons like you should do. Fixing that with a new set of buckets and pistons from cycle-rama... matched of course.

Hillside: Don't know... but it looks very tight in there to add CR's!

Full specs on this motor is the Cycle-Rama "100/100" street build, with Twin Tec ING., and a 44mm CV. Cycle-Rama gear drive cams (They didn't include the specs on those, but it looks close to S&S 570's). Cycle-Rama lifters (vry nice.. they have a sharper angle on the lifter body near the rollers.. So they wont "dig" into the cam lobes), Screaming Chicken intake worked by Cycle -Rama. Sreaming Chicken wires, and E3 plugs. I can tell you, before I muffed the job, it is without a doubt, a bad *** mill... and in a WideGlide to boot (light ride)... Very hard to get off it at the end of the day. Haven't dyno'd yet.. but Im sure it over 100/100.

Last edited by hawkdsl; 03-23-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

whats up with that one intake? Looks like it was running lean.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Originally Posted by hawkdsl
Mtclassic: Pistons look the same.. they are still silver as new close to the cylinder walls, with some very thin carbon build up in the centers. These pics are UNCLEANED heads. Thats what they looked like when I flipped them over. They have about 3,000 miles on them at this point.

Splitting lanes: Not a drop, and zero oil mist out of the carb. The pistons are Cycle-Rama as well, and they have some unusually fat rings (I'd say 1 and a 1/2 times fatter then the flat top HD Big Bore rings). Oil ring too. I cut them myself, as I went cheap, and didn't send in the cylinders to get honed to the pistons like you should do. Fixing that with a new set of buckets and pistons from cycle-rama... matched of course.

Hillside: Don't know... but it looks very tight in there to add CR's!

Full specs on this motor is the Cycle-Rama "100/100" street build, with Twin Tec ING., and a 44mm CV. Cycle-Rama gear drive cams (They didn't include the specs on those, but it looks close to S&S 570's). Cycle-Rama lifters (vry nice.. they have a sharper angle on the lifter body near the rollers.. So they wont "dig" into the cam lobes), Screaming Chicken intake worked by Cycle -Rama. Sreaming Chicken wires, and E3 plugs. I can tell you, before I muffed the job, it is without a doubt, a bad *** mill... and in a WideGlide to boot (light ride)... Very hard to get off it at the end of the day. Haven't dyno'd yet.. but Im sure it over 100/100.

Very simple to have the 100/100 numbers on those.
A Wood .510 lift, TW-6G will have you there, and more.
Just sayin.
Scott

Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The piston top will tell a better story. Since the question was how does the tune look.

One valve looks to have taken more heat than the others.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probley the rear cylinder. any pinging going on.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

Extremely common to have the front cylinder head, looking different than the rear, as the front cylinder carrys the lead timing, as you have 2 cylinders being fired in odd order, during the 720* of crankshaft rotation.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 03-24-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Take A Look At These Heads