Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

$459 Tuner package for new exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:11 AM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default $459 Tuner package for new exhaust?

I want to have the Vance and Hines Staggered Big Shots exhaust installed on my 2010 Heritage Softail. The local dealer gave me a price breakdown that came out like this...

Exhaust - $624.95
1584 ST 1 EFI Kit - $139.95 (Is this the new filter?)
SE Pro Super Tuner - $459

Anyway, that brings the total (without labor) to about $1300. That's insane! At Bikeweek, V&H told me they'd sell/install it for about $750. I'm assuming that didn't include the new air filter, but come on!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are some that will argue to their death that you don't even need a fuel management with a/c and pipes.

But I agree with those that say that you do need some added fuel.

There are cheaper options. Fuelmoto has a good price for their tuners.
the other items can be had from the discounted online dealerships.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah you can find cheaper setups, but those prices are MSRP. I have the se air cleaner and se race tuner, and they had the same sticker price, but I got 20% off that.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior

Thanks for your replies guys. I just don't understand what this $450 option is about. Why can't they just flash the EPROM that stores the fuel management information. What exactly are they doing to my EFI that requires a $450 payment. They aren't actually installling any new piece of hardware are they?

Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pccoder
I want to have the Vance and Hines Staggered Big Shots exhaust installed on my 2010 Heritage Softail. The local dealer gave me a price breakdown that came out like this...

Exhaust - $624.95
1584 ST 1 EFI Kit - $139.95 (Is this the new filter?)
SE Pro Super Tuner - $459

Anyway, that brings the total (without labor) to about $1300. That's insane! At Bikeweek, V&H told me they'd sell/install it for about $750. I'm assuming that didn't include the new air filter, but come on!
Why are they charging you for the Stage I EFI kit AND the Super Tuner? That's redundant. The Stage I kit consists of a high-flow air cleaner, and the Stage I download. So, they're trying to charge you twice. You can buy a Ness Big Sucker for about $99 instead.

Originally Posted by pccoder
Thanks for your replies guys. I just don't understand what this $450 option is about. Why can't they just flash the EPROM that stores the fuel management information. What exactly are they doing to my EFI that requires a $450 payment. They aren't actually installling any new piece of hardware are they?
They can just flash the ECM, instead of "$450 option." That's what the $139 charge is. The Super Tuner is a fuel management system, and allows them to put your bike on a dyno, and actually tune (or calibrate) the entire ECM. But, according to what they quoted you, it doesn't look like they're planning to do that. It looks like they'll sell you the tuner, then download a "canned" map. By having it tuned, it ensures that the bike runs at it's optimal performance. I'm not saying it will make more power; what I'm trying to say is that your air/ fuel mixture, timing, etc will all be where they need to be.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 PM
tonette369
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received identical quote from a dealer when looking to get rid of stock set up on a '14 FLD , I'm going pro pipe but no dif in price. If you talk to parts mgr they will usually match best price you find online. If not, then its your choice whether or not to do business with them. Personally, a dealer would loose my business if they arent willing to work with me on matching prices found online. I woulnt even buy a poker chip from them.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Get your stuff from Fuel Moto. Call them directly and you'll get a nice package deal for Big Shots, Fuel Moto Billet AC, and Power Vision tuner which are all together cheaper than $1300 and you get a better tuner. You will also get excellent customer service and unlimited maps and support.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:47 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I was quoted $460 for the Super Tuner THEN six hours on the dyno @ $80 an hour.

I don't know why you would want a tuner if all you were going to get was an ECM flash. I don't know why you'd settle for an ECM flash.

Dealer quotes if you drop the bike off and tell them to take it to stage 1, with exhaust, air, tuner and dyno run expect $2500. That is installing catless header.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:25 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior

WOW! Talk about bringing an old thread alive.

Since this post, I've sold the Heritage and purchased a Street Glide.

2013 Street Glide

Loving the LED headlight.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey nice bike. Did you go with an ecm reflash or a tuner and a dyno run ? LOL

Quick Reply: $459 Tuner package for new exhaust?