Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Definition "Bolt In Cam" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Definition "Bolt In Cam" ?

I did some searching but never really found the true meaning of a "bolt in" cam. Would it be a cam that can be used as a direct replacement of the Mfr stock cam without changing/altering: heads/valve size/springs/pushrods/gasket thickness/etc ? Not that an application could certainly benefit from changing any of the above for optimum performance but designed to be an improvement if just used as a direct stock replacement of standard cam ? Also having to consider the cam mfr recommendation for intake/exhaust. Also EFI tuning would be a given. Just wondering ??

Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

You are correct.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Add using the std. chain drives for the cams to your definition.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
I did some searching but never really found the true meaning of a "bolt in" cam. Would it be a cam that can be used as a direct replacement of the Mfr stock cam without changing/altering: heads/valve size/springs/pushrods/gasket thickness/etc ? Not that an application could certainly benefit from changing any of the above for optimum performance but designed to be an improvement if just used as a direct stock replacement of standard cam ? Also having to consider the cam mfr recommendation for intake/exhaust. Also EFI tuning would be a given. Just wondering ??
I don't think you can assume that much. I think "bolt in" means the cam itself fits in the engine case in but the lifters, pushrods, gaskets, etc. need to be fitted to the new cam geometry because the lift is different than stock. It is an advertising-type term, not necessarily 100% accurate to run with without knowing the details, imho.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 03-17-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I would describe a bolt-in cam as one that can be fitted without any modifications. In other words it will pep up a stock or near stock motor. Other cams can require modifications to the crankcase, just to get them in, or need higher compression to work well, or head modifications, etc.

There is a whole range of cams, from mild performance through to outright racing, with increasing modifications needed to make them work. Bolt-in cams are on the bottom rung of that tuning ladder.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:58 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolt in cam: a cam that can be used as a direct replacement of the Mfr stock cam without changing/altering: heads/valve size/springs/pushrods/gasket thickness/etc. uses stock base circle.

would likely benefit from additional compression and head work, but not required for it to function

Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
tntravler66
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt in cam Maybe Maybe not.

I just had a (bolt end cam) installed se255 adj. pushrods. Now they cant tell me why the tq is to the right( not the low to mid range tq 255 is supposed to do). Also tell me the clicking I hear in rear cy. is a lazy lifter and the knock I hear at 55mph in 5th gear (6speed trans) when I roll on gas is because to low on rpms. The knock I hear when shifting up the gears first gear up is not happening. So bolt in cam #@$*$#@ no no no If you are luckey yes if not you could be in for trouble.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I don't think you can assume that much. I think "bolt in" means the cam itself fits in the engine case in but the lifters, pushrods, gaskets, etc. need to be fitted to the new cam geometry because the lift is different than stock. It is an advertising-type term, not necessarily 100% accurate to run with without knowing the details, imho.
I gotta disagree. Should be just as the OP described.

Lift being "different that stock" is what makes it a performance upgrade.
You don't need the pushrods until you alter some other geometry, such as head gasket thickness, shaving the heads for compression, etc.

Bolt in is straight up what the OP thought in the first place.

the cam itself fits in the engine case
They all do that.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tntravler66
I just had a (bolt end cam) installed se255 adj. pushrods. Now they cant tell me why the tq is to the right( not the low to mid range tq 255 is supposed to do). Also tell me the clicking I hear in rear cy. is a lazy lifter and the knock I hear at 55mph in 5th gear (6speed trans) when I roll on gas is because to low on rpms. The knock I hear when shifting up the gears first gear up is not happening. So bolt in cam #@$*$#@ no no no If you are luckey yes if not you could be in for trouble.
Not sure what the book says, but I sure would not have called the 255 a "bolt in" cam. It needs the right compression to behave correctly.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tntravler66

Who is "they"?
As for the clicking, how many turns did you adjust the pushrods?

Quick Reply: Definition "Bolt In Cam" ?