Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

Ironhead carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Jayzironhead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ironhead carburetor

I'd like to know where the hose that comes out the back of the float bowl is supposed to go to? I have a 72' with a stock HD carb from what I dont know. I traded it when I got tired of a SU eliminator carb. Anyway, I would have to say it's always been plugged. But all I can say is that there's a crusty 1" piece of hose on the barb thats pouring gas whenever I turn the gas on. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Sounds like the over flow hose, that vents to the atmosphere.
Debris in/on the needle/seat area will cause that to occur generally.
What carb do you have on it now??
Scott

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Jayzironhead
Intermediate

Hey Scott, I don't know what I've got. It has Harley Davidson on it and a weird looking fat K on the body if that helps. The numbers on it are 02blwa14 and a small tag with 0129 on it. The screws on the float bowl are bugered up and I couldn't get my screwdriver to bite but, I plugged the overflow, poured some gas in the carb and fired it up and guess what? I took the plug off and no more leak so it must of freed up the needle. If you know what carb I have it would help for future repairs. I can send pics if that would help. I have a small crack in the plastic ell where the fuel line plugs in but it only leaks if I pull down on it. If I knew what I have I could possibly replace it. Thanks for your help. Jay

Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayzironhead
Hey Scott, I don't know what I've got. It has Harley Davidson on it and a weird looking fat K on the body if that helps. The numbers on it are 02blwa14 and a small tag with 0129 on it. The screws on the float bowl are bugered up and I couldn't get my screwdriver to bite but, I plugged the overflow, poured some gas in the carb and fired it up and guess what? I took the plug off and no more leak so it must of freed up the needle. If you know what carb I have it would help for future repairs. I can send pics if that would help. I have a small crack in the plastic ell where the fuel line plugs in but it only leaks if I pull down on it. If I knew what I have I could possibly replace it. Thanks for your help. Jay
It is a Kehien butterfly carb(they made/make CV's as well).
That fuel inlet can be replaced with a brass, barrbed fitting that is manufactured for just that.
Scott

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 03-19-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Jayzironhead
Intermediate
Smile

Thanks for the feedback Scott. Guys like you are what makes this forum great. I'll be looking for that brass inlet. Thanks again!! Jay

Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heres the brass inlet
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4000165

as for your float bowl screws, use a small pair of needle nose vise grips to grip the heads and turn them out i recomend replacing them with allen head screws, the size you need is M4 .70 X 12mm for the short ones and M4 .70 X45mm for long one that goes through the accelerator pump housing, but you can buy a complete kit to replace all the sscrews here
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/4000363