Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How to prevent exhaust bluing/ High exhaust temps

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
JimStro16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prevent exhaust bluing/ High exhaust temps

I have a new set of pipes for my 2005 FXST. They are very short skirt blowers. My old set of donnie smith mini guns ended up discoloring badly. I put the jet kit in before I ran the bike and they looked horible. I am wondering if anyone has found anything that will prevent this or possibly a way to reduce the exhaust temps. I think maybe it is running too lean and getting too hot. I did spray the inside of the new pipes with 1500 degree paint. My local shop told me that is what they do on all pipes they install and it helps.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Mr_B
Road Captain

Richen your air/fuel mix? Run a cooler spark plug?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Youre probably right about it being a little lean. Might try a dyno tune to prevent it some. The paint was a good idea. Never heard of that.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
JimStro16
Cruiser

Ya, I went in to buy the dyna coat and he told me not to waste my money. Just go to walmart and spend $6 on BBQ paint or engine paint and coat the inside.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 PM
JimStro16
Cruiser

I was thinking the same, I am thinking it might be too lean right now , its runs great but might be starving a little

Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run down the highway at 55-60 mph. Find a spot along the highway where you can pull-over and park. While you are going 55-60, hit the kill switch and pull-in the clutch at the same time. Coast to a stop. Take-out your 3/8 drive ratchet w/plug socket and remove the REAR spark plug. The rear cylinder runs the hottest. If your rear plug has some tan residue inside the plug, your right on. If it looks white, your motor is running lean. If it's dark residue, it's running rich. Now, that you have the motor running right, let's go to the pipes. In the old days, we all ran drag pipes with the proper baffles. Here is what I did to permanently eliminate blueing. If your pipes are used, you need to have someone bead-blast the inside of them. I know a guy that uses ground-up walnut shells, works great. Now, buy one can of grey header paint and one can of white header paint. Aerosol, of course. Take some newspaper and cover the outside of the pipes. Hang them by wire just above of the ground/floor. Cover the floor with paper if you choose. Take the grey paint and begin painting the inside of the pipes. I have always over-painted, meaning dripping out the rear-end of the pipes. Grab the pipes, while spraying, and rotate so as to get them coated 360 degrees. The grey acts as an insulating coat/layer. Let dry for awhile, then repeat. The front 12" of the pipe runs the hottest so concentrate on that area. I always use the entire can of grey paint. I know, it will test your patience but this works. The more times you stop and wait to dry, the better the insulating properties. Now take the white and repeat the process. The white paint acts as a temp reflecting layer. Again, don't stop until the entire can of white is empty. You don't have to wait until every layer is completely dry. Just dry enough so when you begin another coat/layer you aren't just "washing" off the previous coat. When your white is gone, now you have to wait before installing the pipes. It helps if it is warm and sunny outside, to hang them in the sun. Blow dryer, maybe? If your motor is properly tuned, no more blue.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM
JimStro16
Cruiser

I did use most of the can and it was silver or grey paint. I will go buy a can of white tomorrow and finish the job. I am not so sure the engine is tuned 100% judging by how the old pipes looked. I think I might have to richin it up a little before even running the bike. otherwise it will just ruin the new pipes by riding it. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You cannot stop chrome from blueing.
You can cover it up is all.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

it wil always blue thats why they have heat shields
plus you need a TTS and a tune call dave at JD,s cycleworks in PA he will set you right
1-610-297-0321

Old 04-04-2010, 02:05 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have them chrome plated and omit the base copper coat, it blues the worst in a "triple chrome plate", that's what I always did when I worked at a chrome plate shop, but I plated em once a yr as well. It helps some.

Quick Reply: How to prevent exhaust bluing/ High exhaust temps