Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:26 AM
young n bag'n
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams?

I know there are various types of cams out there and many people have their own opinion on which is the best. I am wanting to know some of them. I am looking for what everybody else does more power at bottom end and a good repectable at top. So let me know on which ones you have used and your experience with them. So far I have done a SERT, Rush slips w/ BCT baffles and A/C just need to get dynoed
Thanks

Old 03-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As you indicate, there are many ams and many opinions. You indicated you wanted more on the bottom but still not falling off at the top. Some suggestions for you to look at, The T-man 525, HQ 500 or HQ 525 (525 has a little more top end and the 500 has a little more bottom), Wood 6 (with 4 degree advance key), Andrews 26 just to start with. All are "bolt ins" meaning you can just install the cam and not have to clearance pistons, etc. I do recommend going with adjustable pushrods so you dont have to pull the rocker boxes and if you have more than a few thousand miles on the bike, put in new lifters.
I prefer the HQ cams. But again, there are many opinions.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dalton has given you some great options. One consideration is what changes are you planning in the future and if you don't want to change cams again when going to more cubic inches or more compression. A cam I have used a lot is the RR525 bolt in cam (gear drive only) and this cam works well with more inches and compression as will some of the cams mentioned.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cubes makes a really good point here.... If there is even a fleeting thought in the very back corner of your mind about doing a big bore one day, get the cam now that will work in both applications. Once you feel the bump with a cam, that fleeting thought could very well turn in to an obsession. Don't ask how I (and many others I'm sure) know....

Old 03-06-2010, 08:12 AM
young n bag'n
Advanced

That thought has also crossed my mind for a later on down the road is more cubes. I was doing some research on the net and has anyone delt with the new S&S easy start cams any yet?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

As usual, Dalton is giving great advice.
Our experience here with the Wood 6/4*advance combination,(we are Bob Wood's largest account worldwide) has yeilded fantastic results, not only with dyno reports, but rider feedback, happiness of the power delivery, but to increased fuel economy, as well.
Scott

Old 03-06-2010, 08:19 AM
young n bag'n
Advanced

K how much of an increase will a set of cams do. I know it depends on what you have done to you bike, but in my case with slips, a/c and sert would do?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the Head Quarters 500. Like Dalton says, it's a great bolt on solution to the mo power question. You will get about a 15 - 20% power increase over the standard cams with your Stage 1 mods and the HQ 500 cams.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 03-06-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by young n bag'n
K how much of an increase will a set of cams do. I know it depends on what you have done to you bike, but in my case with slips, a/c and sert would do?
I believe the results would be slightly higher than the Andrews 37 as this RR525 cam is the same timing events with more lift. With stage 2 head work on 95"'s I see around 100/100 torque and horse and with the larger 1.900" valve around 108/106 T&H with mild compression increase.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by young n bag'n
Expect 90/100 well tuned, with the Wood combo, as mutiple dynos accross the counrty have shown.
With a set of good* heads, EASILY add 10/10 to that, with the proper compression, over yet a broader rpm band.
Scott

Quick Reply: Cams?