Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.

A little help for a buddy

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help for a buddy

He has a 2000 Fatboy, carbed. He rode it about 1 -1/2 months ago before parking for winter. Half tank of gas. Two weeks ago he got it out and rode a short trip then washed it and covered it back up. Yesterday he goes to start it for a quick ride on the finally dry streets only to have it backfire through the carb and pipes. After looking he found the plugs were fuel fouled. Cleaned and re-gapped them and it started for a few seconds before again backfiring.

Tonight we pulled the plugs and checked for spark. Check! Fuel was not a problem. Check! Thought maybe a stuck float and needle wide open so it's probably flooding. Pulled the air filter and the lower part is soaked with fuel. Removed the backplate and dropped the bowl. Float seems to move freely so we buttoned it back up, cleaned the plugs and cranked with them out to try and air out the cylinders. Put the plugs back in and tried to start again. This time a HUGE backfire through the exhaust including a 6" flame. This screams out of time to me but why from just riding then parking and nothing happened in between?

Also, he was told a sensor at the front on the primary side would not allow the bike to jump time. My thing is, I think it may be electrical related to the SPARK timing, not the engine timing. I'm thinking he got something that controls the coil, wet and shorted out causing it to send incorrect info to the coil.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if you forget to turn off the fuel valve at the tank, it will do that, harley carbs dont do well over time with the gas on, the owners manuel even says to always turn it off.. the bike is fine.. mabye take the air filter off to dry, or clean/replace it, backfiring really wont hurt a thing, just get it to fire up, let it run rough,it will clear up and be like new in a min. remember to turn the fuel valve off when it isnt running, i have done this a few times..