Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam breakin.....whats that and why....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Cam breakin.....whats that and why....

Can you actual "motor heads" (and I say that with much due respect) give me your thoughts on this....

I had a cam job done the other day and the dealer told me to "make sure I break-it in right"......I said "whats your idea of a break in" he said 500 miles....I said OK. I was probably more concerned at the time of getting her home in 17 degree weather and didnt ask any questions.

3 -4 days later I'm thinking what exactly did he mean and why....

Can someone tell me why specifically "breaking in" cams is required?
I mean...whats to break in? What is "break in really". Are there burrs on the gears??

Also what exactly am I supposed "to do" and "not do" while "breaking these Cams in? I'm mostly on interstates and highways so my speeds are 70-80 MPH....is that too much for the break in?

Then another guy who heard him tell me that say's..."Hey...just ride the thing...don't listen to that stuff...MLOL.....WTF?? MLOL

What do you guys recommend?

I'd bother Dawg AGAIN...but I've bothered him enough in the past month and BTW he hasent flinched and helped me out every time..Thanks again Dawg if your out there... Super knowledgable great guy.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:13 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

No break in needed for a cam swap, IMO. Ride it however you want.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with just a cam change I'ld ride it however you want. With new pistons you would want to break it in a little but a cam is just a bolt in and go deal

Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It doesn't hurt to take it easy for a hundred miles to let the new components get worn in a little.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

There is not any break-in to a cam replacement.
Automotive flat-tappet cams however do need those to be settled in, but these engine's are roller-cam configurations(since 1929) and you can feel free to grab a handful.
Scott

Old 02-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
There is not any break-in to a cam replacement.
Automotive flat-tappet cams however do need those to be settled in, but these engine's are roller-cam configurations(since 1929) and you can feel free to grab a handful.
Scott
What he said !

Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
joe98
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm neither a wrench nor have half the knowledge and experience some of the guys on the forum here, and agree with what they say. I picked up my 08 Street Glide after having HQ-500 cams put in, as well as it being dynoed right after the install. The wrench/tuner told me to beat the hell out of it on the way home. It was all highway riding back home, all 150 miles, bike ran awesome all the way home. I don't think you'll need a break in on cams only...

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I think any time you take something apart for maintenance or modification when you have put it back together it only makes sense to take it easy for a while just in case, all the while listening for any new rattles, noises or oil leaks. This may make the difference between tightening up some nut or bolt and a catastrophic failure due to something coming loose and not hearing it because you were "riding it like you stole it."

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zero break in needed for roller camshafts.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Appreaciate all the feedback from you guys.
Between being locked down for the winter up north (unless we get some kind of freak day to get out) I'm going to have to grab a handfull when I finally get out.
I'll take it easy for a few miles....then all bets are off
Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Cam breakin.....whats that and why....